Enter Room Code

Hello,

I’m trying to trigger some code when entering a room. I’ve done something like this before, but it’s not working with morePrompt(). I’d like to use clear screen and show some cutscene text. Right now I have to press enter for every prompt and then it all shows at the end.

talbinLivingRoom: Room 'Living Room'
    "Brown stonework lines the walls wherever it can be seen. Faded stones sit among colorful ones. Oak book shelves 
    clutter the back of the room. Leather and paper scents mingle with potpourri. A fresh  bowl of scented flowers 
    sits atop a little cedar stand in the middle of the room. A brown fur rug sits below. A small stone fireplace stands in the northeastern corner. It hasn't 
    flickered since the winter months. Two paintings hang on either side of the hallway entrance. The kitchen sits to the north. 
    The washroom to the west, between two walls of packed book shelves. The front door sits to the south."
    east = talbinHall3
    enteringRoom(me)
    {

"<q>There you are, <<me.name>>!</q> \n\b";
        morePrompt();
        "<<me.name>><<me.charPossessive>> mother paces a few steps.\n\b";
         morePrompt();
        "<q>How could you sleep all day?</q> She asks worriedly. <q>You know it's Adryx's retirement today.</q>\n\b";
        morePrompt();
        "<q>Oh no...</q> <<me.now>> says. <q>I almost forgot.</q>\n\b";
        morePrompt();
        "<q>You did forget.</q> She sighs. <q>No worries, I have plenty of time to finish the flowers.</q> An look draws across her
         face. <q>Can you get me some flowers from the forest?</q> She asks.\n\b";
         morePrompt();
        "<q>I only need a few, and then Sarah wants to see you. She left a note.</q> She cracks into a smile, <q>But the flowers 
        first, okay?</q>\n\b";
        morePrompt();
        "<q>Alright.</q> <<me.name>> replies.\n\b";       

}
;

You should use the inputManager.pauseForMore() method for this. morePrompt() is a low-level function that will not flush text to the screen.

inputManager.pauseForMore() takes an argument that must be either true or nil. It states whether realtime events should be paused. Usually you want this to be the case, so just use this:

inputManager.pauseForMore(true);

Works perfect. Too bad there wasn’t a cook book of this stuff. Most of the books go into some depth, but not these other functions.

Yeah, the adv3 API is kind of big. I don’t think there’s a shortcut for learning how things work. Looking and searching in the adv3 source files helps though. There’s also a reference for these files here:

tads.org/t3doc/doc/libref/index.html

Over time you start to learn where things are and how to search for them.