New hugo site

Howdy all,

Just a quick note about a new Hugo site I’m working on. It’s a wiki that will (hopefully) help out authors/programmers learn how to use hugo by example. It’s located at http://hugo.gerynarsabode.org. It’s an open wiki, anyone can help. All I ask is that you keep it civil and not be mean. It’s still very new so there are few pages available at the moment. But hopefully it will grow and be a useful resource for aspiring authors for this under-appreciated tool.

Just bumping this thread to point out the progress we’ve been making on Hugo By Example. We’ve got a ways to go yet, but we’ve covered a couple things that the average Hugo user might be unclear on and it’s shaping up to be a nice site. Feel free to check it out, Hugo users and the Hugo-curious!

It looks very good and already has some practical self-help material that I’ll likely incorporate into my current Hugo experiment (which I hope will be more than an experiment). Thank you.

If I think of anything that I can contribute, I will do so. Do you think a class definition, along with several property definitions, that provide a way to include what I call “travel messages” into room objects is worthwhile as a Hugo tip for the wiki? “Travel messages” are text blocks printed after the player leaves in a certain direction and before the next room description is printed, intended to describe the PC’s journey from one location to the next. My code works for me, but it’s never been betatested or debugged. It’s also rather inelegant; I think I should have used a “switch” statement instead of a bunch of “if” conditions. If you’re interested, I’ll see if I can clean it up a little bit.

I remember this from joltcountry. I wasn’t entirely clear on why travel messages would be specific to direction and am curious to see exactly how your experiment is modeled. If you think your code suitably fits a topic someone would want to look up, feel free to add entries to Hugo By Example. For code that I haven’t yet decided what topic I’m going to file it under, I have just been adding it to my thread on joltcountry which I have linked to from the Hugo Tips page. You could do the same.