Quest 4.1.4 is now freeware

With Quest 5.0 currently under development as free and open-source software, it doesn’t make much sense to continue trying to sell copies of Quest Pro 4.x. So I’m happy to announce that the new release, version 4.1.4 is now available and is completely free.

There is no longer a separate Quest Pro product. Instead, all of the benefits of that edition have been folded into the free version. So, Quest 4.1.4 is now free and includes:

• an unrestricted version of the editor, QDK – you can now make games as big as you like
  • the Quest Compiler, which lets you encrypt your ASL file so players can’t edit your game
  • the Quest Packager, which lets you turn your game into a stand-alone Setup EXE file for Windows machines

You can download Quest 4.1.4 from axeuk.com/quest/

Thanx for making it free :slight_smile:

I’ll give it a try sometime soon , though atm I’m mostly ready to bother with Inform 7 as I have Aaron’s Reed book sitting in the library for very long…

Thanx again, nice move…

Here’s hoping we start seeing a large influx of quality quest games, both for quest 4 and for quest 5 when it comes available!

Thanks for your generosity! :slight_smile:

I’m definitely looking forward to trying out version 5, and I may use version 4 for at least a draft of a project that is coming together in my notes. I’ve experimented with so many different systems over the several years that I’ve been involved with IF, changing systems nearly as frequently as projects. That makes me hesitant to commit to buying a commercial product, since then I would feel obligated to continue using it, so as not to waste my purchase. Now that Quest 4 is free, I suspect many others like me will be willing to make sincere efforts at IF projects with it. This is exciting news!