intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZILF
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 pm 

Has Jesse McGrew (btw, kudos if that is your surname, Jess, McGrew? And you designed a near perfect carbon copy of Infocom's ZIL compiler? Nostalgically awesome dude!) been working on ZILF lately? I love how simple it is to use. As long as you don't do anything too complicated or expect anything more advanced (might as well go to Inform 6 if not 7 for that) it is basically a replacement for ALAN 2 or 3 for me (but makes native zcode with ZAPF assembler with some needed function processes like MAIN and the like, but not that big of a deal, but plus since it has more the novelty feel of it being close to ZIL as possible!) and because I am not really trying to make a very intensive if not advanced type of IF, i would use ZILF for my programming of IF for the moment.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: ZILF
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm 

He posted the other week that's he's been getting version 0.8 ready for release. You can watch some of the progress yourself over at its bitbucket repository: https://bitbucket.org/jmcgrew/zilf/overview

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:23 pm 

Thanks Roody! He is a busy guy! I just love how he was able to create if not replicate this absolutely novel and fascinating piece of electric literacy history!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 pm 

I'm glad you like it! :)

ZILF 0.8 is right around the corner, with lots of fixes and improvements. I'm hoping to release it in the next week or so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:58 pm 

Like we say it in New England... Steak sauce! ^_^ Great work Jess! You the man!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

BTW, Jess, is there a way I can customize the status line for the Turns and Score labels? I just want to use the Score on it's own, but also give out a cap to inform the max score of the game. Or do I have to use assembly opcodes to do this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm 

grimjerr wrote:
BTW, Jess, is there a way I can customize the status line for the Turns and Score labels? I just want to use the Score on it's own, but also give out a cap to inform the max score of the game. Or do I have to use assembly opcodes to do this?

See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21212.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm 

Excellent dude! Thanks Jess! I didn't realize you answered my post. Thanks man! Going to port to ZILF for the remainder. It's not like a complete write up no doubt, were it is compatible to ZIL (and most like THEN SOME) so I need to do regardless is update the ZILF package and libraries for Mono (I use Linux btw :P ) Thanks again man!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:44 am 

hate to be a bother again man, I even checked the ZIL on how to do this... But how do I go about making a condition within the Room when going north would use a sorry statement rather then gaining entry? For instance, I have a gate before me, and I have to unlock it from a hidden key, but I cannot go north unless I unlock the iron gates. Is it possible to use directions of NORTH as a routine as well for the action? if so then I been going about it the hard way all along. I also, due to using ALAN 2 alot, made a room called nowhere and use it to put all unused objects and actors in it. I figured it would better if not ideal. Plus I think that was the same arrangement Scottfree did due to Scott Adam's coding of his games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm 

grimjerr wrote:
But how do I go about making a condition within the Room when going north would use a sorry statement rather then gaining entry?

You can do that with a PER exit and a routine. For example: https://bitbucket.org/jmcgrew/zilf/src/ ... t.zil-1103