intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dialog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 am 

On library's layers, the point is that the entry points and how to use should be well-described (the difference between ver[ACTION] and [ACTION] is still a FAQ in TADS world...)

I'm a bit perplexed on the narrate predicate, whose can lend to unduly heaviness on library's footprint, because is implemented on the core action, but where the narrate predicate is more appropriate is in the "actions that print a message", whose is where the core of the Nelsonian "varnish and veneer" often lies..

last but not least, on documenting, I warmly suggest that also part II have an quick reference appendix, listing implemented actions, predicates, traits, narrates &c. (similiar to appendix 1-5 of Inform 6's DM4, or, more concisely, tables A-D of the same)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm 

I maintain the French translation of Inform 7, so yeah, I know it's not only a matter of translating responses. But with Inform, you can replace only parts of the Inform 6 templates, or parts of the Standard Rules, so you don't need to keep a copy of the whole Standard Rules up to date (only the parts you replaced).

Anyway, I agree translating a WIP may be a bit premature. For the moment, I just wanted some information and I had it. So thanks! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:59 am 

I have to say, this looks great! I've been getting back into writing IF after a while, and I'm actually considering Dialog for a longer project (could maybe even be a comp game, if I can muster up some self-discipline and focus). Do you think it's viable for that right now? By which I guess I mostly mean: since I know this is still early days, do you forsee the language changing significantly between now and, say, September? I know there's likely to be lots of little changes, but as long as nothing earth-shattering is on the horizon...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 am 

I hope that with "da sekrit weapon" (the new AC just over here) I can partecipate for once at the IF comp.. (southern Italy summer, not precisely a climate conductive to coding, even with cooled "hack fluid"...) but is sooner to plan for it...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:11 pm 

Nick Kerklaan wrote:
I have to say, this looks great! I've been getting back into writing IF after a while, and I'm actually considering Dialog for a longer project (could maybe even be a comp game, if I can muster up some self-discipline and focus). Do you think it's viable for that right now? By which I guess I mostly mean: since I know this is still early days, do you forsee the language changing significantly between now and, say, September? I know there's likely to be lots of little changes, but as long as nothing earth-shattering is on the horizon...

Thanks for your kind words!

By all means, please give it a go! And be sure to let me know if you run into problems, bugs, or annoying limitations. I'm also open to suggestions for features, although minimalism is still very important to me. So, yeah, there's always a risk involved when you're using a system that's in active development, but the other side of the coin is that you get the opportunity to influence that development.

I'm not planning any changes that would break backwards compatibility, except perhaps a different mechanism for updating the status bar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 pm 

lft wrote:
Nick Kerklaan wrote:

Thanks for your kind words!

By all means, please give it a go! And be sure to let me know if you run into problems, bugs, or annoying limitations. I'm also open to suggestions for features, although minimalism is still very important to me. So, yeah, there's always a risk involved when you're using a system that's in active development, but the other side of the coin is that you get the opportunity to influence that development.

I'm not planning any changes that would break backwards compatibility, except perhaps a different mechanism for updating the status bar.

That's good to hear! I'll give it a shot then. As someone who considers themselves more a writer than a programmer, but still has a bit of programming experience and enjoys coding, I think this could be the ideal IF language for me.

The minimalist aspect is definitely part of what appeals to me, and having looked through the documentation I can't see that there's anything I'd want to do in the project I've been planning that I couldn't do with Dialog. If I run up against something though, I'll definitely let you know!

Is this thread the best place for bug reports and feature requests?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:31 am 

Nick Kerklaan wrote:

Yes, at least for the time being. You can also get in touch via PM if a public post would reveal too much about your upcoming game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 am 

lft wrote:
Nick Kerklaan wrote:

Yes, at least for the time being. You can also get in touch via PM if a public post would reveal too much about your upcoming game.

Great, will do, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:51 pm 

I'm excited to unveil the Dialog Interactive Debugger, part of Dialog 0d/01, library 0.19 (click to download).

This tool elevates your Dialog program into a wide-open sandbox where gameplay, coding and debugging mesh together. Think I.A.G. Alpha, but with a parser and no limits.

You start the debugger from the commandline, providing the source code filenames as arguments. The game starts, and you can interact with it as usual.

In addition, you can type arbitrary queries and now-statements at the game prompt, in order to inspect and manipulate the running program.

But the real magic is that the debugger watches your source code files for changes. New code is merged into the running program automatically, so you can test new functionality without restarting the game.

There's a new chapter in the manual, with all the juicy details.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm 

It is so nice to have a parser game system under actual development. Thank you for all you do.

v/r
Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next