intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:34 am 
"Calm and methodical"... Hmmm... if you're in the mood for HARDER games, there's also some that you can't get stuck "walking dead" on (i.e., they are "merciful" in Zarf's scale).

These would include Delightful Wallpaper and Dual Transform and Hoist Sail For The Heliopause And Home - not necessarily easy, but merciful (DW in particular is a bit of a puzzle box).

"Anchorhead" is polite until the endgame. You can die until that point, but it's always obvious when you're in danger.

"Fail-safe" is merciful. You can lose the game, but it all amounts to a final decision, not some item you should have picked up rooms ago.

"Not just an ordinary ballerina" and "Flustered duck" are pure puzzlefests - AFAIK, they are merciful, or at least polite. If you're in the mood for puzzles rather than story, try these.

"A fine day for Sushi" and "Galatea" are worth mentions as well. Probably "Alabaster" too. And "City of Secrets".

You see, there are lots of them around. :) Mostly what you'll want to do is check the forgiveness scale - you'll want MERCIFUL and/or POLITE. Be sure to read reviews if there are any, they'll give you an idea what to expect.

And stay way, way, way clear of the classics Curses and Jigsaw. They are definitely worth your time, but you'll need time to graduate to those puppies.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 am 

It's possible to make "Flustered Duck" unwinnable toward the very end -- I think this is the only time -- but it'll probably be pretty clear when you've done that. Still, I think this makes it technically "Nasty," though maybe it's clear that you're doing something risky which would push it down to "Tough."

Spoiler: show
There's a muskrat or something that you have to gamble with at the end of the game. If you lose a critical item, you're SOL.

Oh, and you may be able to make things unwinnable by

Spoiler: show
forgetting to tie up the pig

but I'm pretty sure you get at least one warning (the first time it happens the game undoes it for you). However, the thing I just spoilered is not fun.

Anyway this is a real puzzlefest. But the hint system is a joy and a delight. Seriously -- it got me through a lot of puzzles I'd never have solved and helped me enjoy a game I'd have found frustrating.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:31 pm 

These games are (from personal experience) merciful, excellently written, and all-around fun. Most have already been suggested but I wanted to add my votes to them.
  • Lost Pig (And Place Under Ground) by Admiral Jota (simple but subtle)
  • The Dreamhold by Andrew Plotkin (a great puzzle-fest tutorial game)
  • Delightful Wallpaper by Andrew Plotkin (nontraditional and creepy)
  • Bronze by Emily Short (a retold fairy tale; some endings may become unreachable, but probably not by accident, and you're never completely stuck)
  • Muggle Studies by M. Flourish Klink (Harry Potter fanfic)
  • Photopia by Adam Cadre (low on puzzles but very very atmospheric)
Other games mentioned on this thread are very likely to be good choices too; these are just the ones I've personally played through. I'll look up Flustered Duck though; I hadn't heard of that one and I like puzzle-fests.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:36 pm 

I always recommend The Dreamhold by Andrew Plotkin and Bronze by Emily Short to new IF players, because they're merciful, well-written, and have very nice hint systems so you should never need to resort to an online walkthrough.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 pm 
On the other hand, be aware that they are quite huge, and Dreamhold in particular is... different. I am always very, very wary of springing Dreamhold on beginners.

Matt w, yeah, that's not fun, but you get a warning like you said. And I'm not sure that there isn't a way to circumvent that. And I'm not talking about the alternative method of transport. I was under the impression there was a way to get by if you did what's under your second spoiler tag.

Could be wrong, accourse.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:40 pm 

Pretty much anything by Emily Short is the state of the art for games that are thoughtful of the player. Her most recent major oeuvre is Counterfeit Monkey, which is a "full length game," meaning you should expect to have to put in upwards of eight hours to play it, and it's definitely puzzly but never sadistic or opaque. Bronze and Savoir Faire are Comp-length, meaning that it is technically possible to play them in around two hours. Galatea and A Day for Fresh Sushi are bite-sized, though Galatea is highly replayable. And there are many others...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:21 pm 

These are all great suggestions! Bookmarking this thread for if I ever want to play something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 pm 

I second most of these suggestions. I think 'The Lost Spellmaker' fits the bill (LucasArts like). It's one of my favourite games. Do check out Em Short's games too. Doris DeLightning has that dry humour you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:44 pm 

Most of the suggestions in this thread seem good to me, especially "Lost Pig," "Violet," "Hoist Sail," "Taco Fiction," "The Warbler's Nest," "Muggle Studies," and "Aotearoa." I'd add "Robin & Orchid" and "Mrs. Pepper's Nasty Secret" to the list.

Peace,
Brendan Desilets

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:21 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started with Lost Pig but unfortunately that game was exactly what I didn't want as I managed to get myself into a situation where I cannot progress the game and therefor not beat it.

I think that I would prefer to try ones that aren't very hard when it comes to puzzles, as I didn't last more than about 15 minutes in Lost Pig before I started looking at a walkthrough.

EDIT: So I managed to find a forum post that showed a way to still finish Lost Pig, so I did finish it. Also I mentioned LucasArts because it's my reference for adventure games that you generally can't fail, unlike a lot of the early Sierra games. I didn't mean that the IF games have to necessarily be humorous or silly.

Last edited by Ozric on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next