intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:25 pm 

I have never purchased any of the mini-collections, but the Lost Treasures and Masterpieces collections have a data folder in them with the *.DAT files you would be looking for (the game folders themselves have the game bundled into executables that will only work in DOS). I imagine the mini-collections are the same way.

As people have said, the *.DAT files will play nicely in Gargoyle or Windows Frotz. I even like the interpreter Filfre a lot although it doesn't always do Infocom status bars (the line of information at the top of the screen) correctly.

The odd thing is that the data folders in these collections don't always have the last version of a game. If that is important to you (Solid Gold versions of games will often have built-in hints or games like the Lurking Horror or Sherlock have sound support), you can check the version you have against the list in the Infocom Fact Sheet: http://pdd.if-legends.org/infocom/fact-sheet.txt (in the 35 Canonical Game section)

You can patch your version to another one using files from here: http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... tches.html That would require DOSbox, though, and would be a bit of a hassle. Really, I'd just recommend buying the games and then finding the data files again on the net. Save yourself some trouble.

You'll also find that the sounds in Lurking Horror and Sherlock aren't really worth much of the hassle (also, sound will work great in Windows Frotz but I've never gotten it to work properly in Gargoyle).

As Matt said, you might also want to keep the Infocom Documentation Project handy for nice scans of the manuals. Also useful is the Infocom Gallery.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 pm 

Okay, so it sounds like DOSBOX is a waste of time, and Frotz is the best interpreter.

There are many different versions of Frotz in that archive, do you know which works best on Windows 7?

One last question, if I am running Windows XP or Windows 98 on a laptop, will the game automatically run and save games easily in that case?

Don't laugh, but I'd consider buying an older version of Windows to play these games if they worked very efficiently on that OS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm 

You want this version: http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/inf ... taller.exe

It was updated just a couple of months ago so it should be good for Windows XP and later. I don't know what Win98 support looks like these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:27 am 

I haven't tested it recently, but Windows Frotz should work fine on Windows 98, or even Windows 95 for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:03 pm 

Zorker wrote:
Okay, so it sounds like DOSBOX is a waste of time, and Frotz is the best interpreter.

There are many different versions of Frotz in that archive, do you know which works best on Windows 7?

One last question, if I am running Windows XP or Windows 98 on a laptop, will the game automatically run and save games easily in that case?

Don't laugh, but I'd consider buying an older version of Windows to play these games if they worked very efficiently on that OS.

DOSBOX is not a waste of time, it just depends on what your interests are. WinFrotz works great for a Windows interpreter. DOSBOX works great for DOS interpreters. Both can save to HD's. I have played both and I prefer DOSBOX just because I like playing DOS games in DOS just like the original games and I am just an old DOS fart. I play WinFrotz in Windows 7.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:11 am 

Not everybody might like it, but there is a rather nice Infocom-Collection on the iOS-Appstore.

Jens

*edit: looking now at the topic, it's rather nonsense what I wrote. But it's really nice anyway ...*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:54 pm 

mousy wrote:
DOSBOX is not a waste of time, it just depends on what your interests are.

I agree. I use an Apple II emulator for playing old CRPGs and DOSBOX (actually, Boxer) for playing slightly less old CRPGS. It's definitely worth exploring if you have an interest in classic games. However, for Infocom games on Windows, I'd recommend that you go with a native IF interpreter like WinFrotz. As an added bonus, you can easily use it to play many of the games that members of the modern IF community have authored over the past couple of decades. See the ifarchive for gamefiles and ifdb for descriptions and reviews of games. I think you'll find that several of them rival the Infocom games in quality. See the recent IF Top 50 threads (results, discussion) for some recommendations on where to start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:20 pm 

If you have a C compiler, you can also try ZORKMID (an interpreter I wrote), which should be compatible with most Infocom games (any that use EZIP/XZIP/YZIP won't be compatible, although many of Infocom's games don't require it). (But Frotz just isn't that good an interpreter actually)

However, if you have the original DOS programs, I would recommend to use DOSBOX instead unless you need debugging capabilities (the "D" in "ZORKMID" stands for debugging). You can even run other story files with Infocom's DOS-based interpreters by specifying /g and the filename (do not include a space).

(Most of Infocom's game are ZIP, some are EZIP and XZIP and YZIP, and as far as I know only one (Fooblitzky) is DIP (I don't know what the "D" stands for).)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am 

Make DosBox your best friend. You can play the dos versions, and if there are legal version on sites that offer abandoned dos games you can download them (make sure they're legal, you can contact Activision, or whoever bought them out.)

I've been playing Enchanter.

http://www.dosbox.com/

It installs easy, and runs like any windows app. The screen is a dos emulator.

Make a folder in your C: right in the main C: called dgames. (Using windows.)

When you open doss box type:

mount c c:\dgames

then type: cd c:\dgames

viola. You use it like dos. Just install your games in their own folders in dgames folder. (using windows)

dir will show you a list of game folders.

The only time you use dosbox is to mount your c to dgames and open the game file.

Don't worry about dosbox being illegal, I think it's pretty much vetoed in. Tons of publishers, mainstream, are selling their old games of Gog and Steam, using DosBox as the solution. Uses FreeDos I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:49 am 

JeremyBenson wrote:
When you open doss box type:

mount c c:\dgames

then type: cd c:\dgames
Another way is to give the name of the directory or executable as the command-line argument to DosBox. (In Windows, this is possible by dragging the directory or file icon onto the DosBox icon, or it can also be done using the command prompt, or you can create a shortcut that has the command-line arguments already filled in.)