intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 am 

I've played IF using Zoom, Frotz for iPhone, and some online interpreter, but it's time I learned to play them the way they used to be played (sort of).

I'm 22, and the computer I used to play Cuckoo Zoo on as a little kid has now become my experimental FreeBSD box. It does not connect to Internet and for various reasons may never. It has a 133MHz processor, a 1 GB HD, and 96 MB RAM. It has no USB port. It has a tape drive (but probably no tapes), a floppy drive (I do have floppies), and a CD-ROM drive (does not read DVDs). There is no GUI. I'm guessing Zoom is out. I particularly want to play Zork. What can I do to make this happen? I don't really want to spend more than $30 on eBay or wherever for a pet project.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 am 

133MHz sounds like a Pentium 1, which means PCI. So get a PCI network card. They're very cheap, even buying a new one goes for about 10 to 15 Dollars or Euro. Make sure FreeBSD has a driver for it.

You can actually run a GUI on 96MB RAM; try XFCE. Then you can try Gargoyle or Zoom in it. But since you said you want to play them the original way, then use a text-mode interpreter and play them on the 80x25 console. That's pretty much the original experience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:58 am 

I'm specifically avoiding the GUI; I will not load one onto this machine. I don't suppose the floppy disc images for Zork are available for Unix machines somewhere...?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:09 am 

Maybe dumb Frotz for Unix? Assuming the Zork files exist?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:53 am 

"Floppy disk images for Zork" were never for Unix. You could find an Apple 2 disk image, or a DOS disk image, and run that in an emulator.

However, the easiest path is to find the z-code file for Zork 1. (An old Infocom CD off ebay, or, um, about thirty seconds searching the Internet.) Also the Frotz source code for Unix: http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom ... .43.tar.gz

Then move those files over to the machine. (I'm not sure how you're doing that, but a CD-R will work, if you don't have the thing on your local network.) Compile Frotz and run it. By default Frotz will build with a terminal-window interface.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:51 pm 

I'm not sure if that's what you want, but there are several Zork games for sale on GOG (www.gog.com). They run in dosbox, but I'm not sure if you'd be able get them working in any other way if you wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 pm 

zarf wrote:
"Floppy disk images for Zork" were never for Unix.

I was curious what media the briefly-sold Zork for PDP-10 used (8 inch floppy), but looks like that machine ran ITS and not a unix. For period flavour perhaps the OP could compile the Fortran version of Dungeon?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm 

For a machine like that, Unix Frotz works well, is very lightweight, and requires no extra libraries I made sure that it would work with the standard NetBSD curses library. It should be good for FreeBSD's curses. Of course, ncurses can be used if you have that installed. You don't have to resort to the dumb interface.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 am 

frotz wrote:
It should be good for FreeBSD's curses. Of course, ncurses can be used if you have that installed.

Actually, FreeBSD's curses is ncurses (configured to use a hashed database). The port adds some functionality for terminfo, but most applications would be unaffected.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:04 pm 

I was under the impression that ncurses was GPL and therefore could not be folded into a BSD project. A closer look tells me it's under some "permissive" license that vagely resembles the BSD license. Are you the Thomas Dickey involved with ncurses?