intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:17 pm
Posts: 38
Location: https://www.patreon.com/home
I wanted to introduce a free game I'm developing called, "Apocamorphosis"

RPG/ Adult/ Text Adventure/ Fantasy
Synopsis: The manifestation of hatred, lust and corruption has spread across the entire planet like a plague; erasing memories, twisting identities and mutating every living thing in it's path. As the last of the free races band together to hold it back from northern Auvora, frightened refugees flee to the southwest for safety...

Updated (Public): 07APR18
Next Update (PTB): 28APR18
Word Count: 1,320,189
Lines of Code: 63,083
Play Time: 2 1/2 to 3 1/2+.

Adult Themes: Breast Expansion, F2M, Growth (height, weight, pregnancy), Involuntary, M2F, Slow Transformation, Mind Control, Pregnancy, Bimbo, Shrink, Mythology/Anthro Sex, Corruption, Object Sex and Transformation, Voluntary. M/F, F/F, M/M content.
Other Themes: Adventure, RPG, Romance.

Apocamorphosis' blog: http://anonymousynn.blogspot.com
If you'd like to donate: https://www.patreon.com/anonynn
Public Discord: Discord - https://discord.gg/y3V4hbN


Last edited by anonynn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 am, edited 38 times in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:17 pm
Posts: 38
Location: https://www.patreon.com/home
If it's okay to post it or at least a link then let me know and I'll do so ^_^


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 5250
Location: Burlington, VT
Absolutely! You probably want to do a link if you've got it up at the Quest site, because people with non-WIndows computers can't play Quest games offline (I think).


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2436
Location: US - Central
Most people are fine so long as adult content (and any other possible trigger such as violence to animals or sexual violence) is plainly forewarned before the game so they can avoid it if necessary. Even better if there's a way to turn it off or adjust it.

I'll try to take a look at it - I've not had access to a PC until recently so I should try and download one of those to see how it works.

_________________
http://hanonondricek.wixsite.com/pyramidif
https://pyramidif.itch.io


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2436
Location: US - Central
I had to go into the Quest works-in-progress forum to find a link to try it. I'd include it here but didn't want to override what the author wants.

_________________
http://hanonondricek.wixsite.com/pyramidif
https://pyramidif.itch.io


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2436
Location: US - Central
I'm not in any manner offended by sexuality in games (having written AIF myself before), but this character creation isn't promising when I'm asked "How big are dem hips" and I can choose a character (among "warrior" "tank" and "packrat" of "bimbo" "brood-mother" "stripperesque" and "male model" which is branded in the description as "sissy".

I have a stat for lip thickness?

Without even getting into the game proper, you've already set up some potentially troublesome gender and sexuality stereotypes which are going to turn a lot of people off. It's clear that some of these are intended to be female only "bimbo" has "platinum blonde hair and curves", "brood mother" has "already had children and your hips are testament to this fact."

The descriptions of "Warrior at Heart" and "Badass Tank" have a couple little quirks written in, but are not nearly so prickly offensive as male model: "Benefits: You intelligence has a -4 detriment, your defense has a -3 detriment and +5 strength benefit. You also start with long black hair, a bubble butt and average hips."

I can infer you're going for a bawdy romp sort of in the vein of the more recent "The Bard's Tale" and "The Book of Unwritten Tales", but it's possible to do this type of thing without resorting to blatantly offensive stereotypes.

"Stripperesque" could be "Gymnast" and "Bimbo" could be "Seduction Artist" and both open to males. "Brood Mother" offers you wider hips and a nice ass and a shorter gestation time? Why would anyone pick that? If there's a childbearing element in the game, you could rename it "Explosively Fertile" and have it apply to men as well. You could wrap "male model" into "seduction artist" and avoid the implication that every good-looking man is "sissy".

I only bring all this up because I haven't even gotten into the game and I'm already at a loss. My usual choice in games like this is to roleplay the smooth-talking male with high charisma and talk my way through combat, but you've made that option unattractive by over-defining your idea of it. Similarly, I think women will have the same reaction to some of the other categories with negative implications because it pigeon-holes them into a stereotype that "Warrior" "Tank" "Big Saver" "Pack Rat" and "Fashionable" do not.

I guess what I'm saying is show some respect to your archetypes, and the player will feel respected by proxy, no matter what mischief they can get up to in the game.

_________________
http://hanonondricek.wixsite.com/pyramidif
https://pyramidif.itch.io


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:17 pm
Posts: 38
Location: https://www.patreon.com/home
Quote:
I have a stat for lip thickness?


Yup! It actually will change affection ratings on some NPC's later on. Some of them have preferences that you have to meet if you want to gain their affection/attention.

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is show some respect to your archetypes, and the player will feel respected by proxy, no matter what mischief they can get up to in the game.


I appreciate your feedback! I actually already fixed a lot of those problems for the next update xD But I'm glad you brought them up anyway. You also offered some very nice suggestions, which I also appreciate! With that said, that's why I haven't posted any links to the game yet, I figured I would have just waited until the next update on 29JUN16. Perhaps I should have just waited to mention the game until then as well! I was just curious to see if anyone would be interested in seeing it.

Was there anything you did like?

Quote:
I had to go into the Quest works-in-progress forum to find a link to try it. I'd include it here but didn't want to override what the author wants.


Thank you for not going over my helmet! :P (Spaceballs). I'm actually going to post the link on the date listed above because it will be the newest version :)

Quote:
Most people are fine so long as adult content (and any other possible trigger such as violence to animals or sexual violence) is plainly forewarned before the game so they can avoid it if necessary. Even better if there's a way to turn it off or adjust it.


Understandable. The "adult" content is actually very avoidable in my game. Two of the personalities have it, the other two don't, and I have an 18 disclaimer in the beginning of the newest update coming out soon ^__^ thank you!

Quote:
Absolutely! You probably want to do a link if you've got it up at the Quest site, because people with non-WIndows computers can't play Quest games offline (I think).


Yup! Figured I'd do both. The blog for the game has links to both the online version and a downloaded version :D

Having mentioned all that, I will still be very happy to answer any questions about the game that you guys might have before and after the update. Don't be shy!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2436
Location: US - Central
Quote:
Was there anything you did like?


It seemed like there was no way to progress after character creation. Perhaps I missed a link. I could type stuff but it took me nowhere.

I am not entirely fond of straightforward "Choose a height" "Choose an eye color" sort of character creation. If you can put it somehow into narrative, it's a little more fun. I don't know what your inciting plot is, but if you can perhaps have something like the player getting dressed and let them select appropriate clothing

Quote:
You open your wardrobe to get dressed. After some stalling, you finally select your favorite outfit which is...
1. The absolute height of fashion! You never fail to impress.
2. Made with lots of heavy metal and thick leather to protect you from damaging blows.
3. Dead sexy, revealing, and makes you even hotter than you are naked.
4. Comfortable and stretchy, since you need your full range of motion.
5. Protective leather and just a bit of metal, which allows you nimble ferocity with a sword.
6. Threadbare and a bit dingy, but still perfectly wearable. You don't need to spend money on new clothes.
7. Easy to wear, and a bit jam-stained at the sleeves from tiny fingers clutching at you.

_________________
http://hanonondricek.wixsite.com/pyramidif
https://pyramidif.itch.io


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:17 pm
Posts: 38
Location: https://www.patreon.com/home
Quote:
It seemed like there was no way to progress after character creation. Perhaps I missed a link. I could type stuff but it took me nowhere.


Hm. Maybe an error occurred or something. One the character creator is finished, it should have taken you to the Dreamscape, which has like the Chapter 1introduction and a few helpful "Command" tips like how to look at yourself, etc.

Quote:
I am not entirely fond of straightforward "Choose a height" "Choose an eye color" sort of character creation. If you can put it somehow into narrative, it's a little more fun. I don't know what your inciting plot is, but if you can perhaps have something like the player getting dressed and let them select appropriate clothing.


Hilariously enough, I already did that. I didn't like the basic questions and already rewrote a lot of the basic character creation introduction so that it also introduces you to some background as well. But again, great suggestion!

Quote:
You open your wardrobe to get dressed. After some stalling, you finally select your favorite outfit which is...
1. The absolute height of fashion! You never fail to impress.
2. Made with lots of heavy metal and thick leather to protect you from damaging blows.
3. Dead sexy, revealing, and makes you even hotter than you are naked.
4. Comfortable and stretchy, since you need your full range of motion.
5. Protective leather and just a bit of metal, which allows you nimble ferocity with a sword.
6. Threadbare and a bit dingy, but still perfectly wearable. You don't need to spend money on new clothes.
7. Easy to wear, and a bit jam-stained at the sleeves from tiny fingers clutching at you.


^--- this however would be a little tougher to do since in my particular creator isn't really set up that way and the player doesn't start in a house or a village. But I like the idea. Maybe I can try something like that later on when you actually get to a town or something. Thank you for the feedback. If you have any questions lemme know!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Apocamorphosis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2436
Location: US - Central
anonynn wrote:
^--- this however would be a little tougher to do since in my particular creator isn't really set up that way and the player doesn't start in a house or a village. But I like the idea. Maybe I can try something like that later on when you actually get to a town or something. Thank you for the feedback. If you have any questions lemme know!


Oh, and that's the other thing - spreading out character building so it occurs naturally during the beginning of the game is better than an SAT quiz dump style interrogation before anything happens. Lynnea Glasser did it really well in Creatures Such as We where the player doesn't choose their attributes until they become relevant.

_________________
http://hanonondricek.wixsite.com/pyramidif
https://pyramidif.itch.io


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group