Seeking Beta Testers for Snollygoster! (to be renamed soon)

Hi everyone!

I’ve been working on my game Snollygoster! for the past year and it’s ready for the beta testing stage. I plan to enter it in the IF Comp 2018.

It was written in Inform 7 in the Glulx format.

The game is finished except for the “hints” menu which I will complete based upon some of the feedback I get.

Here’s the description:

“Who’s the best and brightest Gamer of 'em all? Find out by joining the 27th Annual All-Night Snollygoster Run! You’ll compete against hundreds of other teams in the world’s most popular scavenger hunt! Find the treasures, find the clues, beat your competitors to the finish line and your team will win one million dollars and a lifetime supply of Snollygoster popcorn! Even more, you will prove that you and your teammates are the true champions of Snollygoster '87!”

If you’re interested, either PM me or reply below.

Thanks!

Frotzing

Ok, so it turns out there’s another game out there by the name of “Snollygoster.”

I started writing my game last fall and found the unusual word “Snollygoster” in some lists of bizarre English words. I loved the word and thought it fitting for the zany theme of my game. I searched around online for other uses of the word and found nothing.

However, a potential beta tester contacted me to say they were interested to see that there was in IF version of this game they found on Google. So, I did some checking and yes, there’s a Kickstarter site for another game called “Snollygoster” and it looks like the campaign was started last fall, so either we both came up with the same name around the same time, or I didn’t Google “Snollygoster Game”, but just “Snollygoster” when I was coming up with names last fall and that wasn’t specific enough to bring up the site.

Anyway, I’ve contacted the maker of the game to let him know what happened and that I’m changing the name of my game to avoid confusion and to keep anyone from thinking one of us stole the name from the other.

And now I have to rename my game (sniff). But such is life! I’ve got some ideas and I’ll commit to one of them soon. No matter what I pick, I’ll still need beta testers if anyone is interested!

In the Pleistocene of IF, the New York Times sued Infocom over naming their customer magazine New Zork Times. A contest was held to find a new name for the magazine. In my personal opinion, the best suggestion for the new magazine name was…

New York Times.

Ha! Funny stuff. I remember that magazine, too.