intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:39 pm 

So, something has been concerning me.

(After doing the first big important thing, and then doing the smaller-but-still-important thing three times, and then learning three formulas with an X in their names.)

Spoiler: show
Syndesis is awake and has subsumed the other dragons. She's told me (using calyx access) that the Birdhouse pylons are oxidized, and she recommends putting intensional ballast underneath them.

However, I can't get to the Birdhouse without using a ritual to affect my aura. Aura Invisibility requires elemental fire for the sublime spirit, which I can't spare (I need one to get into the Medical Wing for the elemental air, and one for the Great Marriage). Oehlke's Aura Imitation requires elemental water. And Riesenzweig's Aura Imitation requires elemental air, which again, I can't spare (I need one to get into the Chancel, and one for the Marriage).

And the Birdhouse is the only nest which I can't reach easily: I can get to Pneuma's, Aistheta's, or Baros's old nests without consuming anything essential. And if Baros is awake he wants me to go to the Barosy instead, which is easy to reach once all the dragons are functioning.

Is there an additional puzzle here, only for players who chose Syndesis? Am I supposed to take a leap of faith and put the ballast somewhere else? (That worked with the fulcrum, but that was mentioned specifically in the ritual.) Or is there a way into the Birdhouse without consuming any elements, which I've just failed to notice?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm 

As far as I know, what you want to do is indeed impossible. I consider that to be a bug, but there's a workaround.

You can't get under the Birdhouse and win the game in a single run. Instead, you can put the ballast beneath any dragon. Drop the ballast anywhere the ballast lights up to get the "ballast" ending with Syndesis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:53 pm 

I also consider it to be a (design) bug. I do not plan to fix it, however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 pm 

I see. So the intended solution is really to

put the ballast in a different dragon's lair

then?

In that case:

I understand if you don't want to make further Inform changes at this point, but couldn't Syndesis just ask for the ballast to be placed somewhere else? (In the Barosy, for instance, or "in a dragon's lair"?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 pm 

No, the intended solution is to put it haqre gur Ovequbhfr; the bug is that this is not possible!

I don't want to rewrite either the text or the code because of it. One (minor) theme of the game is symmetry-breaking; this situation accidentally fits in with that. Which is interesting, and the ways that you have found around it are also interesting. I decided that it is not a net loss to the game design, so I'm leaving it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29