intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:55 pm 

I noticed last month that I forgot to incljde Scroll Thief on my Best of 2015 list. I haven't triedit yet, but it seemed to generate a lot of interest.

How long is it? How often did you use the walkthrough? How many rooms are there (I.e. is it a lot bigger than the opening location, or is there only a bit more?)

Thanks!

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:00 pm 

For the "mechanical" answers: there are 33 rooms in the game, and the "canonical" solution in my regression tests takes 333 turns to complete (with no dead ends or false starts).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:38 pm 

That's halfway evil!

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:51 pm 

Well, if part 2 lines up properly... >:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:32 pm 

It's stupid hard, even though I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:03 am 

I got started on it this evening. Two hours later I'm still stuck in "act 1," but I've found about ten spells and
Spoiler: show
a comatose librarian, who is behaving pretty oddly

I've found at least one Runtime bug:
speaking to the alarm box

and an implementation bug
the rickety stairs cannot be examined, targeted with spells, or otherwise interacted with.

good game so far though. I love Zork-alikes, and I was pleased to find there were indeed some easter eggs and gruesome deaths to be had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:43 pm 

now I've played it through, with a little tip from the walkthrough for a couple of puzzles with frustrating syntax.

It runs very slowly in the later stages, and I found some more bugs. for example:
casting BOZBAR on yourself produces a misleading error response - you start to grow wings even though you haven't learned the spell and don't have a scroll with it

talking to the ghostly archivist appears to be impossible, making the Invisiclues rather misleading

the secret tunnel claims to "lead southwest' but going southwest from it doesn't work

the KREBF spell is implemented but not available

getting back down from the dome is problematic, "enter window" etc does not work

the rusty knife and "the knife" belonging to the adventurer can't be disambiguated

All in all, it's a good project and I enjoyed it. Definitely worth playing. The changing times of day are a nice feature. The spells mostly work as advertised. The writing is pretty good and I didn't see many typos.

I took a peek at the public source code to figure out what I'd missed, and the source code appears to contain a lot of vestigial features (extra spells, etc.) that are not available in the actual game. The game might run faster if the code was cleaned up, or if the red herrings were pared down.

I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel and/or revised editions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:12 am 

I love it when people find Scroll Thief bugs. That means Draconis is going to fix them and by the time I get to play the game I'm gonna be able to go wild. Mwahahahaha.

Quote:
It runs very slowly in the later stages,

I'm very curious about that. Did you play it offline? (I'm guessing you did). What was your interpreter? If you're using GLulxe, have you ever tried Git?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:35 pm 

As a tester who didn't remember the later Zork canon games well, it was tough for me, but I enjoyed figuring the logic & I think Draconis did a great job fixing bugs in time to pick up (and deserve) Jacq's bounty prize. I definitely recommend it, and not just because I tested it. And as Peter mentioned, Draconis fixes reported bugs to make the game even more robust.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 pm 

Merlin Fisher wrote:
It runs very slowly in the later stages, and I found some more bugs.

Re bozbar: I thought I'd removed all of the INSTEAD rules for that exact reason. Oops.

Re archivist: what happens if you try to talk to him? The intended behavior is that he just mutters about things and ignores you, but there are some small hints in his comments.

Re tunnel: was this immediately after opening the door in the Closet? There's another puzzle to open the other end, though I'll hint it better.

Re krebf: there are a lot of those, but hopefully they won't slow down the game. I implemented them for the sequel and didn't want to break things by removing them.

Re the dome: definitely a bug.

Re the knife: can you refer to it as "the Adventurer's knife"? If not then I probably broke the ownership relation again. -_-

Re all of these: anyone who points out a bug which is then fixed gets their name hidden in the game somewhere. Would you like to be credited "Merlin Fisher" or something else? (You can send a PM if you don't want it publicly known.

And which syntax did you find frustrating/are there alternative phrasings that would have been more intuitive? I'm trying to avoid guess-the-verb if at all possible, with direct hints in the game if necessary (e.g. for AIM THE PALANTIR SOUTHEAST).

Peter Piers wrote:
Quote:
It runs very slowly in the later stages,

I'm very curious about that. Did you play it offline? (I'm guessing you did). What was your interpreter? If you're using GLulxe, have you ever tried Git?

I'm curious as well. Also: at what point did it start to slow down? Were any particular actions very slow?