intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:33 am 

I ran it on Glulx via Windows 7.

Things began to get very slow around the time I was
Spoiler: show
instructing the serage-controlled adventurer to do stuff, and got very slow after I pulled some junk from the junk pile in the storage room. If there are every-turn rules affecting the inventory or all items currently "on stage", that might explain the latter problem.

oh, and one other bug I forgot to mention: if you get the purple tome out of the checkout room in act 1, the tome teleports back into the checkout room when act 2 starts, even if you were carrying it.

have not tried Git. I had some difficulty digging up current interpreters; can you furnish me with a good download link?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:12 am 

Git isn't easy to find, but it's available here. It tends to be much faster than Glulxe.

I'll look into the slowdown and see if I can reproduce it. I think there may be a badly-phrased "if the player is carrying a..." check somewhere that does an expensive check for every inventory object.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:27 am 

I wonder whether Glulxe and Git savegames are interchangeable. They should be, right? That'll make it easier to see whether the interpreter change did make a difference!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 am 

I believe they both use the Quetzal format, in which case they should be interchangeable. It'll be a cool experiment either way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:46 pm 

Funny story, the first thing I did was:
>REZROV NORTH

Turns out that makes it impossible to progress, but it took me a while to examine everything else and figure out that I was actually stuck. After restarting, REZROV DOOR did the trick. But, you might want to add that synonym...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:48 am 

Doug Orleans wrote:
Funny story, the first thing I did was:
>REZROV NORTH

Turns out that makes it impossible to progress, but it took me a while to examine everything else and figure out that I was actually stuck. After restarting, REZROV DOOR did the trick. But, you might want to add that synonym...

I think you're the first person to try that! It'll be fixed in the next patch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:00 am 

Out of curiosity, will the next patch fix what you see as all the issues? D'you have a list of known issues/enhancements that you're going through? Do you foresee reaching the end of this list and releasing a version that you feel is final (bar any totally unexpected bug reports which can happen any time)?

Logic dictates that at some point you'll run out of bug fixes and enhancements, but what does logic know, heh? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 am 

@Peter Given the complexity of this game, I would be shocked if it were ever bug free, even with a team of testers and programmers. When I worked in the video game industry, it wasn't "When will all the bugs be gone?" but "When will the game be playable enough that people won't hate us?", because bugs never stop popping up. Draconis is only different from other authors in that they choose to acknowledge it and try to fix it.

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:26 am 

Thanks for the chastisement. I was asking Draconis because I am interested in the development of the game, admire his willingness to keep correcting it, and because if another patch is imminent I'll hold off playing it until then because I want to make sure to play the best version of the game I possibly can.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm 

At the moment I have only the one outstanding bug and one enhancement, which I'm hoping to finish by the weekend. The next (unreleased) sections are still horribly bug-riddled but my goal is to release at least a bit more of the story by the start of June.