intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 am 

Thanks for the links and the good points, robin!

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm 

robinjohnson wrote:
Nice!
It's interesting that trendsetting games like I-0 and Photopia are not so loved in retrospect, because now that the trend exists, they're not the best examples of it. TV Tropes calls this effect Seinfeld Isn't Funny.

I like knowing that there's a name for this. You could also call it "The Lord of the Rings is just a bunch of fantasy cliches," but that's probably too wordy.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 am 

HanonO wrote:
Ruber Eaglenest wrote:
Quote:
Cadre in particular has picked 8 games that he publicly displays, and has removed his name from the others.

I'm curious what others have Cadre removed his name from, apart of I-O.

Calling these out on a public forum like this would kind of defeat the purpose of him wishing to distance himself from them.

[Please discuss this privately, if at all.]

This comment is so wrong on so many levels, I'm not even sure where to begin. So I'll just pick one at random: why would an author have the ability to limit what can be discussed by others publicly? Someone wishing to distance themselves from something is a personal decision that does not affect what other people are allowed to talk about.

Cadre is even vandalizing ifdb by deleting the author from the author field in the database. This is not something that should be supported.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:53 am 

The EU has the Right to be Forgotten. Were Cadre a EU citizen it may be a legal requirement to honour his wishes. (I don't know how the law works or how it would be applied here, just pointing out that the idea that such requests should be honored is not without precedence.) As it is, seems to me that nothing is really lost by not overtly linking his name with everything he has ever written; those who are know can still write analyses comparing all his works, that's just not what Mathbrush wants to do in this topic.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:05 am 

If cadre asks me to remove the I-0 comments, I will. But in the US, I think one court’s description of the right to be forgotten is relevant:

“The court held here that there were limits to the right to control one's life and facts about oneself, and held that there is social value in published facts, and that a person cannot ignore their celebrity status merely because they want to.”

However, again, I would remove it if requested. Despite its flaws, I-0 is culturally relevant and an important part of understanding IF history.

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am 

RealNC wrote:
HanonO wrote:
Calling these out on a public forum like this would kind of defeat the purpose of him wishing to distance himself from them.

[Please discuss this privately, if at all.]

This comment is so wrong on so many levels, I'm not even sure where to begin. So I'll just pick one at random: why would an author have the ability to limit what can be discussed by others publicly? Someone wishing to distance themselves from something is a personal decision that does not affect what other people are allowed to talk about.

Cadre is even vandalizing ifdb by deleting the author from the author field in the database. This is not something that should be supported.

I posted that mod comment as a request for good-neighbor discretion here on the public forums. It was not a request by Cadre - in fact, I have never actually spoken with him and do not know him personally. I was attempting (as a Mod) to head off any sort of "mini doxxing" event that might result inadvertently through such discussion. I am sure there are people who do know Cadre and what these games are, but I believe it's best to err on the side of personal privacy in these situations.

IFDB is publicly-editable, so I don't think an author adjusting the information available about their own work approaches what you are calling "vandalism". I myself exist online as a pseudonym so I can relate - there are probably a few people who know my actual identity, but I would be furious if someone decided to actually edit all my IFDB entries to include my real name where the public could see it when I have specifically not done that myself.

I'm not saying you can't discuss this, but I'd prefer you exercise discretion and not do it here (or in any public social space ideally). As a Mod on a forum with a Code of Conduct, I'm going to lean toward not allowing members to disrespect the privacy of other members of the community.

Craiglocke: I think you're totally fine - the fact that Cadre wishes to remain anonymous with regard to some of his work is public knowledge that's worth including in an overview, and I-0 is one of his games that includes published reviews that refer to him as the author.