intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:27 pm 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... ture-game/

Quote:
Search engine and all around web giant Google famously love to put hidden features in their products, and a few days ago a new easter egg was discovered: a full text adventure game hidden away in the dev console. The game sees you playing as a “big blue G” and searching for your friends, the other colourful letters that make up the Google logo.

The game was discovered by Reddit user attempt_number_1, and requires players to open up the dev console to play. After searching ‘text adventure,’ hit Control+Shift+J (or Command+Option+J on Macs) to access it. It should read “Would you like to play a game? (yes/no).”

If the answer is yes (and why wouldn’t it be?), you’re transported to the Google headquarters in Mountain View, California, with “a statue of a metal man peeking out of a building” and “a park…just across the street.” From there, you begin your journey to find the other letters, which appears to take around thirty minutes to an hour on average, according to the Reddit thread.

I've created an IFDB entry for it. I've tagged it "easter egg," as well as Dunnet, the secret text adventure built in to Emacs. (Are there other hidden text adventure games like this that y'all know about?)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 pm 

Nice, but the instructions don't seem to be working for me. I google "text adventure" and then press Control+Shift+J, but, uh, nothing happens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:48 pm 

It worked for me in Chrome but not Firefox, so maybe it's specific to Chrome?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:04 pm 

The instructions to open the developer console are different on every browser, and also differ depending on which OS you're using. https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/a ... er-console

On Firefox for Windows, I think it's Ctrl-Shift-K.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm 

" (Are there other hidden text adventure games like this that y'all know about?) "

Some late-era Origin game shipped with batch files allowing the play of an adventure using the MS-DOS prompt and filesystem as its text parser.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 pm 

Ah, here we go: https://archive.org/details/wcadvent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 pm 

And of course Zarf shipped an Icebreaker text adventure bundled with the genuine product. But to the best of my knowledge none of these are easter eggs triggerable from within the parent application, just present on the install media.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:00 pm 

The recent case of Call of Duty Black Ops.

Myst Online had a few IF-style commands hidden in the chat system; you could type "/look" or "/get" in a few areas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 am 

I do not think emacs Dunnet counts as an easter egg as it isno more hidden than any of the other built in games or most other features. It is listed with all other games if you look up that topic in the help (C-h p).