intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 am 

dfabulich wrote:
A spoileriffic master list of library books.

Spoiler: show
  • To Have, and To Have Knots: An Illustrated Guide: Narthex
  • LVPB: Mausoleum
  • The Dollmaker's Journal: Shack Exterior
  • Twin Hearts Between the Planes: Estate Office
  • Backwater Personalities (1915-1925 edition): Drinking Fountain
  • Tolerating An Asinine God: Padded Cell
  • Lives of Roman: Cragne Family Plot
  • De Zeven Testamenten van de Krijsende Zeeworm: Landing at the Bottom of Stairs
  • Venator in Tenebris: Top of Stairs
  • 'Pataphysical Approaches to Quantum Superfluids: Hallway South
  • Legends of Lake Champlain and the Hudson River Valley: Library
  • A Rudimentary Taxonomy of Known Scent and Grotesque Reactions: Disheveled Studio
  • Life Beneath Nightmares: Invasive Library
  • The Conservative's Cookbook: Cragne Library Forbidden Annex
  • The Seven Gaunts: Workroom
  • New England and the Bavarian Illuminati: Boiler Room
  • ANCHORHEAD. A What-do-I-do-now Book Based on the Works of MICHAEL GENTRY: Small Chamber

All of the library books are hidden in self-contained rooms, except for the Drinking Fountain, which just requires you to have read and returned a certain number of library books first.

Good stuff but Tolerating An Asinine God isn't in the Padded Cell. It's in the locker in "Backwater Jail". You have to complete the Padded Cell to finally obtain it once you go back into the office after escaping the padded cell, but the book's actually still in the locker in the office.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am 

dfabulich wrote:
A spoileriffic master list of library books.

• To Have, and To Have Knots: An Illustrated Guide: Narthex
  • LVPB: Mausoleum
  • The Dollmaker's Journal: Shack Exterior
  • Twin Hearts Between the Planes: Estate Office
  • Backwater Personalities (1915-1925 edition): Drinking Fountain
  • Tolerating An Asinine God: Padded Cell
  • Lives of Roman: Cragne Family Plot
  • De Zeven Testamenten van de Krijsende Zeeworm: Landing at the Bottom of Stairs
  • Venator in Tenebris: Top of Stairs
  • 'Pataphysical Approaches to Quantum Superfluids: Hallway South
  • Legends of Lake Champlain and the Hudson River Valley: Library
  • A Rudimentary Taxonomy of Known Scent and Grotesque Reactions: Disheveled Studio
  • Life Beneath Nightmares: Invasive Library
  • The Conservative's Cookbook: Cragne Library Forbidden Annex
  • The Seven Gaunts: Workroom
  • New England and the Bavarian Illuminati: Boiler Room
  • ANCHORHEAD. A What-do-I-do-now Book Based on the Works of MICHAEL GENTRY: Small Chamber

All of the library books are hidden in self-contained rooms, except for the Drinking Fountain, which just requires you to have read and returned a certain number of library books first.

Awesome list, thanks! In addition to MTW's correction, a couple of clarifications (spoileriffic of course, including the location of hidden rooms):

The Narthex, where To Have and Have Knots is found, is called something like "The Church Lobby" when you first enter it

The Library where Legends of Lake Champlain... is found is Mike Spivey's room on the upper floor of Cragne Manor, not Carl Muckenhoupt's Library where you return the books

Small Chamber is a hidden room off Tunnel Entrance

Cragne Library Forbidden Annex is a hidden room off Basement (Ivan Roth's room in Cragne Manor, not Sean M. Shore's room above Tunnel Entrance)

The title of the book found in Cragne Library Forbidden Annex is randomized from about three choices

And, just to repeat what MTW said, Tolerating an Asinine God is in Backwater Jail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:55 pm 

I've updated my library book post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm 

Hi dfabulich, thanks for your very useful lists.

I have one query re the room sequence and precedents required:
I used the black pen from the Hallway South to resolve the Mausoleum, so would have put the Mausoleum later in the sequence. Or possibly there's another solution I didn't find?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 pm 

That room is self-contained.

Just keep taking the journal. Eventually, it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:24 pm 

Quote:

Thanks dfabulich - clearly I don't have sufficient perseverence!

Another possible transfer requirement:
I think the teapot from the mudroom is needed to access Carol's Room - hopefully not another coincidence :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:13 am 

e0lith wrote:
Quote:

Thanks dfabulich - clearly I don't have sufficient perseverence!

Another possible transfer requirement:
I think the teapot from the mudroom is needed to access Carol's Room - hopefully not another coincidence :)

This is true but I think the transportation sign might appear in a different room.

If I remember correctly you can't even get into Carol's Room without the teapot. So the transportation imagery should appear in Upstairs Hallway, North End, which is where you access that from. I'm not sure if it does, though--to test it we'd have to unlock the door to the Master Bedroom without having the teapot.

(Which I suspect is something that doesn't happen that often, because I put a very loud message on the teapot saying THIS IS THE THING YOU NEEDED TO TAKE after some of my testers got confused by all the optional stuff you can do in the mudroom. Maybe I should have had the house strike you dead if you didn't wipe your feet before you went inside.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 am 

Quote:
This is true but I think the transportation sign might appear in a different room.

Aha! Game save file #74!
It shows the Upstairs Hall (north end) as complete prior to accessing the Nursery, and without the teapot in inventory.

I was quite late accessing the nursery even though I'd picked up the teapot -- IIRC Mr Snortles kept saying I didn't have the teapot. Eventually resolved by taking it from the backpack, dropping and retaking, but after I'd finished everything else in the Upstairs Hall. I don't know whether this may have affected the coffee cup status, but I tried dropping it in another room and rechecked the status - still shows complete.

Despite this, wouldn't it be helpful for walkthrough purposes to have it on the list of items required in a different location to their source? Perhaps with a note that scrying might not indicate the lack of teapot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am 

e0lith wrote:
Quote:

Aha! Game save file #74!
It shows the Upstairs Hall (north end) as complete prior to accessing the Nursery, and without the teapot in inventory.

I was quite late accessing the nursery even though I'd picked up the teapot -- IIRC Mr Snortles kept saying I didn't have the teapot. Eventually resolved by taking it from the backpack, dropping and retaking, but after I'd finished everything else in the Upstairs Hall. I don't know whether this may have affected the coffee cup status, but I tried dropping it in another room and rechecked the status - still shows complete.

Despite this, wouldn't it be helpful for walkthrough purposes to have it on the list of items required in a different location to their source? Perhaps with a note that scrying might not indicate the lack of teapot.

Yes, if there's something that is required but doesn't affect the coffee cup, it would be extremely helpful to have it on the list for walkthrough purposes!

I suspect the issue is that the coffee cup code checks for locked doors when you don't have the key and this isn't a locked door per se.

Also about your trouble with the room:

Probably Mr Snortles is checking to see whether you're directly holding the teapot. Carol won't take it out of your backpack.

It might be a good idea to compile cases where the coffee cup is potentially misleading (it was added in beta testing and Jenni works very hard but it's hard to catch all the edge cases). A few I can think of/gathered from the hint thread:

As in this post: Upstairs Hallway, North End shows as complete even if you don't have the teapot when you need it to access Carol's room
Nursery (in the attic) gives you a transportation sign if you've repaired the vacuum cleaner and you don't yet have the letter opener
Drinking Fountain may sometimes give a transportation sign when you've smashed the fountain but not taken the book from the hole (this may or may not interact with the bug where it's possible to lose the chill/spark/ghost/cold spot from you inventory in the Greenhouse)
Women's Restroom may give a transportation sign when you've already got the book from the Narthex
Narthex may give "no symbolic image" sign when you haven't got the book yet because you still have stuff to do in the Women's Restroom
Greenhouse may give transportation sign when on the mesh walkway or higher even if you've already reached the peaceful conclusion to the room

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 am 

Dan already linked to my Variegated Court roundup, but it might be helpful to have it here! I'll change it so it starts with the room and spoilers the color. Usually the information will be found in items that can be taken from these rooms. In those cases I'm not going to give the solutions for how to get those items.

Milkweed

To find the color:

read the postcard of Big Ben

Color is:

Cesious

To find the familiar:

read the diary of Phyllis Cragne

Familiar is

silverfish

Under The Bridge:

Color/familiar:

read graffiti until you get a phone number. Dial the number (using the coin you found there and stuff). Something dramatic will happen that prompts you to look at the water, which I think you do in the reflection of the payphone. This will reveal the color and give you a glimpse of the familiar.

The first time I did this in this save, the first phone number I got was a red herring. Not sure why. The one you get should be an upside-down cross.

Color:

Croceate

Familiar is:

eel

Family Crypt:

color can be found:

I think on the plaque or inscription or something on the coffin?

Color is:

Icterine

familiar:

look in the coffin

Familiar is:

weasel

Padded Room:

color/familiar:

examine the trophy you got there

color is

Puce

familiar is

greyhound

Outside the Pub:

Color/familiar can be found:

In the newspaper you got from the newspaper machine ("some yellowed newspapers"). (As someone pointed out in the slack, one of the incongruities is that the VC usually seems pretty secret, but here it's just straight-up in the newspaper.

Color is:
Fulvous

Familiar is:

Duck

Meatpacking Plant Office:

Color can be found in:

torn notebook

Color is:

Rufous

Familiar can be found in:

the newspaper article you got there, about the dreadful conditions in the plant

Familiar is:

rat

Locked Office (above the basement/tunnel entrance)

Color can be found in:

Journal of Luther Cragne (tiny leather journal you get out of the puzzlebox you find in the locked office

Color is:

Niveous

Familiar is a bit tricky (that is, I totally needed someone to explain it to me):

also found in the journal

but not in the text of the journal

examine the journal. Any other part of it you can examine?

Examine the embossed design.

Familiar is:

wolverine

Music Room:

Color can be found in:

Uh, so this one's super complicated. If you've totally finished this, got a message from Francine and everything, and done everything you've needed to do in the whole complex including L'Oreille, then you have this. If not, post if you need more hints.

Color is:

Xanthic

Again, you have to do lots of stuff to get here...

Have you helped Francine and got a message from her?

Read the police report and keep in mind what she says about her familiar.

The first funeral is the forest you get to if you press all buttons.

The familiar shows up if you visit it after freeing her, I thnk.

Familiar is

peregrine falcon

Cold storeroom with the peaches and the eyeball

Color and familiar can be found

By reading the message on the wall after finishing the room.

Color is:

Griseous

Familiar is:

Cat (or bat, but it's a cat figurine. At least in my save! Maybe it's a bat sometimes. Its name is Nifty)

Meatpacking plant bathroom

Color and familar can be found in:

Konstatin's journal

Color is:

Mazarine

Familiar is:

Firebird

Dark Recess of the woods (Jacqueline's room)

Color can be found in:

The tintype...

...which is in the locket you got.

Color is

Eburnean

Well, it was the thing that grabbed you. Also it's on the locket, I think. Also it shows up with the color any time you examine yourself in a room where the author didn't write an "Instead of examining yourself in..." rule.

Familiar is:

Kraken

Upstairs hall, north end

Color can be found in:

journal you found in the armoire, or Carolyn's JogMaster you can get by trying to go northeast when the bricked doorway disappears

Color is

Fuscous

familiar can be found in:

either of the same places (I think both will clue you in to both color and familiar

Familiar is

White Antelope