intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm 

workroom

I'm looking for the
Spoiler: show
3rd glyph. I've found jungle and glacier

Does it involve
Margreth's instruction that creates a pearly glow?

If anyone is still following this thread, please help

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 pm 

Workroom--I got stuck there for a long time too.

The third glyph (if I'm understanding your descriptions of the first two) involves manipulating the environment after you vulle.

Is there anywhere in the post-vulle environments that might hide something? (I couldn't find a hint that it did hide something, though I could have missed something, but think of something that might hide something, if you know that something's hidden....

You only have to use magic words to get this, not interact directly with your environment in any way.

Is there any place that you might be able to uncover something using only your magic words?

Relatively explicit instructions follow:

Melt the glacier.

Full solution, unless I'm remembering wrong:

ia. irnath. vulle. maleth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm 

I think I may have made a puzzle unwinnable, but i'm praying that's not the case.

in the shed

I retrieved the fungicide, sprayed my gloves (it didn't seem to understand me when I tried to spray my hands), died from fungus and the used take back, which puts the fungicide back in the wheelbarrow but leaves the gloves fungus-free. Now that I have the sausage I'm finding out the way to make the centipede eat it is to swish it around in the gloves to make it gross. my gloves only smell like mildew, and leaving the sausage in a closed trash pocket it with it and few other mildew-scented items didn't change anything, nor did putting the sausage in the gloves and waiting several turns. is there any other way to get the centipede to take the sausage without using actively-mildewy gloves? Is it possible that even though it explicitly mentioned nothing changing with the sausage, and continuing to call it the desiccated sausage, that the centipede will still eat it?

spoiler-tagged per dfabulich's request--matt w

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:34 pm 

Please put [spoiler] tags on that!

To answer your question, yes, I think you're most likely stuck. I found that "take back" was buggy in various spots, and this is probably one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm 

Ugh, sorry about that!

"Take back" is in fact supposed to re-infect the gloves... except there are two different adjectives in play & I used "tainted" instead of "potent." >_<

Where else is "take back" buggy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm 

Hi, I’ve got
the letter opener and Eustace is dead on the Sitting Room floor in 1899. Is there anything else to do in this particular room? I keep trying to pull the rope to call the maid, but the game says that I first have to somehow persuade Moira to help me.If I try to go west through the doorway, it says that I have to examine the mirror and when I do that I end up back in 1996 and can’t go through the mirror again and the coffee cup simply says I should move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 pm 

That should be it! At least,
if you retrieved an object back in 1996, that's all you need from this room to complete the game.
(I don't guarantee that there's no other actions to be taken in this room for fun/atmosphere, though I didn't find anything else to do there either.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 pm 

Take back

Poking around a bit more, I now recall that my attitude toward "take back" was formed in the shack, with this very bug.

But also, in the meatpacking bathroom, where five or six turns pass after getting the tap but before the horse kills you, take back isn't allowed ("try UNDO instead"). I suppose that's justifiable because you're not actually doomed? But you seem doomed, so when it happened, I said, "aha, take back is buggy again," and my mind was made up.

Another example where it seems like take back should work but isn't allowed is at the Old Well, where if you summon a deadly microphid (e.g. pteranodon) you can undo, but it's not obvious how to get rid of the microphid you made. It turns out that you can prod the microphid to dismiss it instead of summoning it, but that wasn't clear, so I just did undo a few times; once I realized that microphids could be deadly, I just used save and restore.

Yet another: in the subterranean tunnel in darkness. I missed that I could go northwest; if you try to go back up through the hatch where you came in, it says you can't ("You can't find the way out"). Then you can stumble in the dark for a few turns until the bugs kill you. I'd assumed that the room was deadly, and so I'd wished take back would be allowed. I just used UNDO to escape.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:05 am 

DGTHSP wrote:
I think I may have made a puzzle unwinnable, but i'm praying that's not the case.

in the shed

I retrieved the fungicide, sprayed my gloves (it didn't seem to understand me when I tried to spray my hands), died from fungus and the used take back, which puts the fungicide back in the wheelbarrow but leaves the gloves fungus-free. Now that I have the sausage I'm finding out the way to make the centipede eat it is to swish it around in the gloves to make it gross. my gloves only smell like mildew, and leaving the sausage in a closed trash pocket it with it and few other mildew-scented items didn't change anything, nor did putting the sausage in the gloves and waiting several turns. is there any other way to get the centipede to take the sausage without using actively-mildewy gloves? Is it possible that even though it explicitly mentioned nothing changing with the sausage, and continuing to call it the desiccated sausage, that the centipede will still eat it?

spoiler-tagged per dfabulich's request--matt w

Where do you get the sausage???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 am 

Need help with getting whetstone, finding a sausage, greenhouse, boiler room. Many thanks in advance!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next