intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Endless, Nameless
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm 

Hi! I'm totally stuck on this part (which is actually why I joined e.e).

I got the sword and shield, I have the clear ampule left. I have the mackerel, and so now I have no idea what to do.

I was thinking I had to get the philosopher's stone, to turn the wooden marlin into a real fish, then get carried off by the roc.

However, I can't get the wooden marlin, much less the philosopher's stone! It's out of reach, so I tried levitating up to it, but I couldn't muster up the energy. I can't kill the Minotaur, and so now I'm at a loss.

What do I do?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:21 pm 

Quote:
What do I do?

As hints go I'm afraid this isn't very subtle, but, at least according to my (possibly out-of-date) transcript, and given your description,

Spoiler: show
CUT ROPE should do the trick.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 pm 

raketemensch wrote:
Ending spoilers:
I'm curious to find all the (13?) possible endings. Here are the ones I've found so far:
- Enter the portal.
- @UP Sorceress so that she seals the Warden's plate, replace the plate and enter the portal (my favorite).
- Throw a dart at a troll and enter the resulting energy vortex. (probably the "best" ending).
- Give the dragonstaff to the Warden.
- Give the dragonstaff to the Sorceress.
- Abandon the dragonstaff.
- @UP self.
- Don't save the Warden, then enter the portal. :shock:
- Become overwhelmed by trolls.
- Throw a dart at a troll and DON'T enter the resulting energy vortex OR fail to @WALL successfully when faced with the troll.
- Cast a @SPELL without foreknowledge. (not sure if this counts)

That's 10-11 endings, depending on how you count.

More ending spoilers:
- The 11th ending counts (if it ends the game, it is an ending).
- The 10th ending is actually two different endings, although they look similar
- And the 13th ending: kill the sorceress.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:48 pm 

So I know caver posted his question a year ago, but I got stumped at the same place and I only got past it by cheating and decompiling the source code. It was a silly little thing, really. So for anyone else who's trying to get fuel for the machine and has realized where to get it and what to store it in but just can't seem to get it from point A to point B, it might help to realize that:

This is an old school adventure game and the troll is not nailed down. He's also pretty small.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm 

luke wrote:
raketemensch wrote:
Ending spoilers:
I'm curious to find all the (13?) possible endings. Here are the ones I've found so far:
- Enter the portal.
- @UP Sorceress so that she seals the Warden's plate, replace the plate and enter the portal (my favorite).
- Throw a dart at a troll and enter the resulting energy vortex. (probably the "best" ending).
- Give the dragonstaff to the Warden.
- Give the dragonstaff to the Sorceress.
- Abandon the dragonstaff.
- @UP self.
- Don't save the Warden, then enter the portal. :shock:
- Become overwhelmed by trolls.
- Throw a dart at a troll and DON'T enter the resulting energy vortex OR fail to @WALL successfully when faced with the troll.
- Cast a @SPELL without foreknowledge. (not sure if this counts)

That's 10-11 endings, depending on how you count.

More ending spoilers:
- The 11th ending counts (if it ends the game, it is an ending).
- The 10th ending is actually two different endings, although they look similar
- And the 13th ending: kill the sorceress.

There's also a slightly different version of the
get-overwhelmed-by-trolls ending

if you
forget to keep the key with you in the interlife and don't have it in naraya. Basically it just tells you "well then you're doomed!" heh heh.

But I'm actually having trouble getting to the ending that raketemensch listed as his favorite.
I can @up the sorceress, but nothing happens from that - she just gets @up'd and then i can proceed either with the "enter portal" or "throw dart at troll, enter portal" which is the "u has rly won" ending (and particularly poignant given that I was bouncing my 3-month old to sleep as I got to it.
Anything I need to do to get there?

Also, this game was awesome. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:08 pm 

I'm not sure if it's better to necro this thread or create a new one, but since this thread helped...

I'm pretty sure I'm very close to defeating the dragon.

I can turn my sword to gold, and I have the reenforced shield. But I only damage my hand for 1 hit point.

I think what I need to do is

Cast purigi, but none of the ampoules seem to allow it.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 pm 

You... what? That doesn't sound familiar, and I'm not seeing it in any of my old transcripts. Unless someone else understands what situation you find yourself in from your description, maybe it would help if you were a little bit more specific? Maybe paste some stuff from your current situation in the game into a spoiler tag? I'm having trouble figuring out what you might mean. It doesn't sound like you're on the right track though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:53 pm 

Hmm, sorry for the long delay here...here is the transcript from the bridge. Any suggestions? Thanks!

>i
Inventory:
a rock
a shield (being worn)
a large ampule of clear fluid
a wand
a belt (being worn) with a scabbard containing your sword
a gold coin
a brown cloak (being worn)
a mackerel
a heavy purple dart
a leaflet
a spellbook

(get sword, drop spellbook, get rock, put clear fluid in wand)

>s

Outside the Dragon's Lair (exits: N S)
You are standing before the entrance to the dragon's lair. Take a few steps south, and you will be face to face with the foul monster who has struck such terror into the hearts of good people throughout this land!

>s

Dragon's Lair (exits: N)
You are in a large cave that smells distinctly of brimstone. All around you lie the charred remains of those who have tried to kill the dragon before you... and failed.

Before you, lying atop a veritable mountain of gold crowns, rings, nuggets, goblets, and other bits of aurous treasure, is an enormous dragon! It opens one eye as you enter. You should not have come here, it says, directly into your mind. With a yawn, it sits up.
---
speaking to the dragon
>>SAY 1 : Prepare to die, dragon!
>>SAY 2 : You will pay for your crimes!
>>SAY 3 : I am your worst nightmare!
---

>>throw rock at dragon
You throw the rock from the jewelry shop at the dragon. The dragon counters with a blast of flame that melts off the rough outer layer of the rock and reacts with the core to form a smooth, shimmering orb - which the force of the dragon's breath sends flying back in your direction. The transformed rock bounces in front of you and rolls up to your feet.

The dragon breaths a jet of fire at you - but you block it with your shield, and emerge none the worse for the experience! You look at your shield and guess that it can withstand three more blasts like that.

You've tempered your shield, says the dragon's voice, inside your head. As have others before you. They died. So shall you.

>squeeze wand
You hear the muffled sound of glass breaking - wince at the sting of the needle entering your thumb - and then you feel magical energy coursing through your body!

>get rock
As you pick up the shimmering sphere, you know that this could only be one thing: the Philosopher's Stone!

The dragon breaths a jet of fire at you - but you block it with your shield, and emerge none the worse for the experience! You look at your shield and guess that it can withstand two more blasts like that.

[Your score has just gone up by five points.]

>ovidio sword from gold
With a tight grip on the coin in your pocket, you cast your spell... and though you've seen more dramatic transformations, your heart races as your sword turns to solid gold! For the first time, the dragon looks at you with fear in its eyes.

The dragon breaths a jet of fire at you - but you block it with your shield, and emerge none the worse for the experience! You look at your shield and guess that it can withstand one more blast like that.

The magical energy leaves your body.

[Your score has just gone up by five points.]

>attack dragon
Your mightiest blow has no effect on the dragon, but you hurt your own hand enough to lose a hit point!

The dragon breathes a jet of fire at you. The good news is that you block it with your shield! The bad news is that the blast of flame reduces the shield to vapor, and you are badly burned.

>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 pm 

IIRC, you have to

ATTACK DRAGON WITH SWORD

for it to work properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm 

Ah, okay, yes... man, I wish I could find my old transcripts, sorry, changing computers. But I'm pretty sure I remember this, now that you mention it! Let me see if I can do the gradual hint thing.

Remember that this part of the game is trying to be an old-school adventure, and that those are sometimes finicky about phrasing.

Look carefully at the final response in your transcript. What does it mention? What does it not mention? What does that imply about what the game assumed that you asked it to do?

Try KILL DRAGON WITH SWORD.

I'm going to be so embarrassed if this is wrong, I mean I haven't checked or anything, and it's been ages, but it does sound familiar... anyway if what I'm saying doesn't seem to fit, that's probably why. Wait, actually chux just beat me to the punch and we seem to be agreeing... bah, I'll post this anyway, can't hurt....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next