intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 am
Posts: 21
So it appears that I am stuck at Counterfeit Monkey, Emily Short's new long IF game.

Spoiler: show
I am trying to help the two teenagers on the roundabout while the officer doe shis thing. I've already got out of my car, but I'm pretty lost. Any hints


EDIT: Ok, forget it. Of course I figured it out as soon as I posted this.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:05 pm
Posts: 747
Location: Denver, Colorado
MattW wrote:
EDIT: Ok, forget it. Of course I figured it out as soon as I posted this.


Is there a name for that? I've experienced it several times, where mentally shifting gears to post about a problem (often a coding problem) puts me in the mindset to immediately self-solve it simply by pressing the button to make the question public. This needs a name :)

_________________
Games, Fonts, and Font-Toys For Gamers - http://www.cumberlandgames.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 5360
Location: Burlington, VT
I've seen it called The Power of Posting.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:43 am
Posts: 388
"L'esprit d'escalier" (when you think of that clever response only after you left a conversation) is a little similar. Esprit de post?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 am
Posts: 1102
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
I wonder if it's not mostly called ”thinking” or ”understanding”. ;) Formulating a problem successfully 1) necessitates thinking it through and 2) results in a clear expression of it. Thinking a problem through certainly is a step on the way of solving it. And reading a clear expression of a problem (even if it is one's own) certainly helps one's understanding of it, which is also a step on that same way.

_________________
Man ska inte tro allt man tänker.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 pm
Posts: 1894
Location: Honolulu
Felix Larsson wrote:
I wonder if it's not mostly called ”thinking” or ”understanding”. ;) Formulating a problem successfully 1) necessitates thinking it through and 2) results in a clear expression of it.

Daniel Dennett has a bit where he argues (in a largely rhetorical manner, admittedly) that 'thinking' isn't a distinct activity: there are two social activities, 'asking questions of people' and 'answering questions for people', and what we call 'thinking' is when all the people involved are the same person.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:00 pm
Posts: 833
Ghalev wrote:
Is there a name for that? I've experienced it several times, where mentally shifting gears to post about a problem (often a coding problem) puts me in the mindset to immediately self-solve it simply by pressing the button to make the question public. This needs a name :)


How about Murphy's Law? :D

_________________
"Will you stop breaking the fourth wall? It's costing me an absolute fortune to replace it!"


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 pm
Posts: 679
Let's turn this into a full-fledged hints thread then, shall we? Okay, so I'm at the bit where I'm trying
Spoiler: show
to convince Waterstone to open his office door by showing him a dirty homonym
. I seem to be stuck with both two things: one is that I don't know if I have the right syntax, since it seems that
Spoiler: show
if I knock on his door, he'll fixate on the same object every time (the clock). Trying to SHOW him a particular object seems to just redirect to that.
And the second is that I'm not sure I'm even trying the right object.
Spoiler: show
Of course I tried the cock, and I also tried a cat (hoping for "pussy"), but he seems to think a rooster is not "innocent" enough. I may just not understand what he's looking for.
Hints about either or both of these problems would be appreciated.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 pm
Posts: 1894
Location: Honolulu
tove wrote:
Let's turn this into a full-fledged hints thread then, shall we? Okay, so I'm at the bit where I'm trying
Spoiler: show
to convince Waterstone to open his office door by showing him a dirty homonym
. I seem to be stuck with both two things: one is that I don't know if I have the right syntax, since it seems that
Spoiler: show
if I knock on his door, he'll fixate on the same object every time (the clock). Trying to SHOW him a particular object seems to just redirect to that.
And the second is that I'm not sure I'm even trying the right object.
Spoiler: show
Of course I tried the cock, and I also tried a cat (hoping for "pussy"), but he seems to think a rooster is not "innocent" enough. I may just not understand what he's looking for.
Hints about either or both of these problems would be appreciated.

Hints of increasing spoilishness. There are multiple solutions to this, but they generally require
Spoiler: show
use of the synthesizer.

You need an item that
Spoiler: show
has had a new synonym invented for it primarily as a euphemism.

The one I always use involves
Spoiler: show
use of two objects that are both, individually, innuendo-type words

in order to create
Spoiler: show
an object used in plumbing

, that is to say,
Spoiler: show
a ballcock (later known as a float valve).


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 am
Posts: 5
Location: Sydney
Alternate answer, though I assume there are many:
Spoiler: show
The shuttle from the Department of Orthography rubbish bin also works with the cock to form a shuttlecock. If you don't have the clock in your inventory he'll also complain about the member(s), if you're carrying them.


Meanwhile, if anyone can point me in the right direction for this one I'd be much appreciated:
Spoiler: show
After getting the invitation from the university, the way into the Bureau is blocked by the families playing with the Hanging Cardboard Atlantida. I tried using the homophone paddle on the jigsaw to give me something to cut it open but the parser just complains I'll make a mess...


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group