intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Counterfeit Monkey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am 

I just finished the game, and I enjoyed it. It was the first long IF game that I ever played. I played a lot of graphic adventure games as a kid, but I never really tried text adventures until recently. Actually, it was the description of Counterfeit Monkey that got me interested (maybe because I study linguistics :) ), and now I found out that there are tons of games and I want to play more of them.

I found the tutorial and the first puzzles very beginner-friendly, but I also liked that the puzzles got more and more challenging towards the end. For some of them, I had to read the hints in this thread. As a non-native speaker, I had particular trouble making the
Spoiler: show
oar - I've never heard that word before, so I spent a lot of time trying to paddle with the board :) I also did not know exactly what a pulley is, although I had an idea what I should do with it, and after fiddling around for a while with the ropes and the hook and attaching and tying, I had to look up how to phrase it. But as far as I understood from reading around in this forum, rope things can be a bit difficult to handle in general.

but other than that, I was happy to find that I could solve many of the puzzles even with a limited vocabulary of English.

As other users reported in this thread, I had some issues with the "shall we suppose we didn't?" function, too, but it did not make the game unplayable/unwinnable for me (although, like jrb, I also created an
all
, and I did not manage to get rid of it, so I decided to just keep it; it seemed pretty useful to have it anyway).

Besides all the linguistic fun in the game, I also appreciated the anti-linguistic-purism message.

Best,
Dara

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:22 pm 

Great game. I loved all the detail put into it and reading into the source a bit it's astonishing how much deeper it goes. One question.

Is it possible to get the achievement for all letter removal in hard mode?
The wheel and wrap are both missing now. I couldn't do anything productive with the swimsuit, twisty fossil, or swatch. I can w-remove the w from sword but it makes a sord which kills me. From the source, it seems that a sord is a flock of bird but the description I'm getting is, "With a distinct whiff of fresh air, the sword turns into a sord. Unfortunately, the sord is more than sufficient to bury us under his bulk" which makes it seem like it's a person and a very large one at that...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am 

hi, i think i may be locked out of victory? i'm on the
kayak, but cannot make an oar because i never got rid of the animal controls on the remover before i got into the bureau. so i cannot change a BOARD into a BOAR.

is there any other way to proceed?

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:28 pm 

ausgerechnet wrote:
is there any other way to proceed?

I'm not aware of any. I think that you may have run into an issue discussed upthread that allows the player to access an area of the game without solving its gating puzzle.

If you have a saved game where you haven't ever answered yes to a prompt after dying, you can restart from there. Otherwise, you'll have to start over, following the advice from the post that I quoted: say no and then undo instead of saying yes if you die.

It's possible that I'm overstating the issue and that you only need to worry if you died trying to access the bureau specifically and then answered yes to the prompt, but I'd play it safe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:57 am 

i think i found an alternative:

ROCK -> ROC

but if you
sacrificed Brock
earlier, its still unwinnable. oh well, its an annoying bug but it did give me the excuse to play through the whole thing again, this time getting the "full experience" (
dropkick cancans
included).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:42 pm 

Possibly stupid question: I'm on the yacht. I can't work out what to do next. I saw the hint posted here about reading the paper, but I can't see it.

When I type GOALS, it suggests that I should find entry to the Bureau, and try to escape the Bureau, which isn't much help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:06 pm 

The GOALS output that you report suggests that you've fallen afoul of the issue that we've been discussing recently in the thread.

I don't know if there's any way for you to recover from your current position. Here's a minimal walkthrough for the end of the game:

(after arriving on the yacht)
get up
open wardrobe
take trousers
wear trousers
take turtleneck
wear turtleneck
fore
read paper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:28 pm 

Ah, yes. Looks like I'm locked out of winning, then. Thanks for the explanation, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 pm 

As I mentioned on the other thread, we are trying out a new version of this game with the "Shall we suppose we didn't?" bug fixed:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24609432/Counterfeit%20Monkey%20Test.gblorb

Please report any bugs on Github.

Last edited by Angstsmurf on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:31 pm 

Hi. I'm stupid.
Last thing I did was turn my char into a car. I got oil from a fossil and soil. But how exactly do I move away from the western bloc of the map? I can't seem to be able to move into "High Street", I guess it's called, based on the map. So, what am I missing? Am I supposed to have opened the gate locked with a sculpture by this point?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next