intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:57 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:54 am
Posts: 196
Every time you send an email, visit a website, or do anything not involving a direct connection to another machine, your IP address is being sent to a third party. It's especially common with email, since they use many of the same techniques and services as this does, in fighting spam. This is fundamental to how the internet works, even without the concept of RBL's. If you feel this is a violation of privacy, then it goes much deeper. You can't use the internet without your IP address being distributed to systems you're not even aware of.

But if you do feel it's a violation of privacy, please post links to the legislation you're referencing. I'm always interested in learning more about the latest trends in internet security. I'm also interested in seeing how this relates to a server hosted in the United States, and what their stance is on how the internet works at a fundamental level.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:56 pm
Posts: 5474
Quote:
Every time you send an email, visit a website, or do anything not involving a direct connection to another machine, your IP address is being sent to a third party.


That's a little broad. Visiting a website is a direct connection to a machine. My IP address is visible to my ISP, the destination machine, and the ISPs and backbone services in between us. Okay, also to other customers of the ISPs who happen to be snooping. It's not protected by strong security but there is an expectation of where it goes.

If a site has ads or Google analytics then a lot more people track the IP address. (This site doesn't use such things.) That's something that I'm aware of, even if not everybody is. You can use ad-blockers or browser settings to limit this. If you want to know what Google Analytics does with IP addresses, you can read their policy. ("Google Analytics does not share actual IP address information with Google Analytics customers" but they track it themselves.)

It's not unreasonable to ask what services the site is using behind the scenes.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am
Posts: 254
Admin wrote:
But if you do feel it's a violation of privacy, please post links to the legislation you're referencing. I'm always interested in learning more about the latest trends in internet security. I'm also interested in seeing how this relates to a server hosted in the United States, and what their stance is on how the internet works at a fundamental level.

I don't know who is writing this. In any case, I find it very offensive. I believe I asked a perfectly reasonable question in a polite tone. I get an extremely condescending answer posted from an administrative account. I did not come here to receive lectures (or give any, for that matter) about "how the Internet works". I simply want to know what the terms of use of this forum, which seem to have changed since I signed up, are.

Just from the first search engine results:
Sweden: http://history.edri.org/edri-gram/number7.13/sweden-ip-addresses-personal-data
Germany: http://www.webnews.de/119468/experten-sehen-ip-adressen-persoenliche-daten
Austria: http://derstandard.at/3192889
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/21/AR2008012101340.html
http://www.mondaq.com/x/162538/Copyright/ECJ+Confirms+That+IP+Addresses+Are+Personal+Data


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 2427
I read those articles, and they really don't say very much. They're mostly about whether a copyright holder can request IP addresses, and whether IP bans are legal.

The RBL sites we check might temporarily store the requests (some I just checked said 7 days for example), but they're only going to store the addresses of reported spammers for any longer than that. Otherwise their servers would be overflowing with useless data.

We will alter the terms of service/code of conduct to say that we do transmit your IP and email when you register.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Posts: 87
Hannes wrote:
Could we have a definite statement how this IP blacklist works?
A bit of info was posted starting at viewtopic.php?p=81095#p81095

Hannes wrote:
Is the user's address matched against a previously downloaded blacklist or are all addresses sent to some third-party to be matched? I'd be very uncomfortable with the latter.
I also very much prefer the former method.

Dannii wrote:
The RBL sites we check might temporarily store the requests (some I just checked said 7 days for example), but they're only going to store the addresses of reported spammers for any longer than that.
Could you, please, link to the relevant Privacy Terms of the third-party/ies? Thanks.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 40
Hannes wrote:
Admin wrote:
But if you do feel it's a violation of privacy, please post links to the legislation you're referencing. I'm always interested in learning more about the latest trends in internet security. I'm also interested in seeing how this relates to a server hosted in the United States, and what their stance is on how the internet works at a fundamental level.

I don't know who is writing this. In any case, I find it very offensive. I believe I asked a perfectly reasonable question in a polite tone. I get an extremely condescending answer posted from an administrative account.


It's all in how you read it, what tone you bring to it. I read the Admin text as cordial and helpful, not offensive or condescending.

It does seem weird for "Admin" to say "I" and have an opinion though :)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29 am
Posts: 254
dddddd wrote:
Hannes wrote:
Could we have a definite statement how this IP blacklist works?
A bit of info was posted starting at viewtopic.php?p=81095#p81095

That contradicts what Dannii is insinuating in this thread, though.

Seeing that your supportive request…
dddddd wrote:
Dannii wrote:
The RBL sites we check might temporarily store the requests (some I just checked said 7 days for example), but they're only going to store the addresses of reported spammers for any longer than that.
Could you, please, link to the relevant Privacy Terms of the third-party/ies? Thanks.

…is already a week old as well, I can only take it that the operators here are either unwilling or unable to provide even the most basic information about this. Sad. I don't see what's so hard about simply admitting that they don't have any explicit agreement with that service provider, i.e. that this third party can currently do whatever they want with the data. At least that would be honest.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 2451
Location: The Midwest
Here is the privacy policy for StopForumSpam. I assume that's the one you're interested in?

_________________
Daniel Stelzer


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 2427
Here are the other sites it uses.

http://dnsbl.otello.ch/
http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php
http://www.blocklist.de/en/view.html
http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl
http://www.spamcannibal.org/cannibal.cgi
http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml
http://www.barracudacentral.org/lookups/ip-reputation


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2181
Location: US - Central
Hi PetrGek.

This post is from 2014 and much of the information is out of date. I just had to approve this first post you made.

We do not ban people nor remove accounts unless they are spamming or violate the TOS. Initial posts must be approved by a mod, and spammers are deleted and reported.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group