intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:44 am 

And the test Discourse migration is at https://test.intfiction.org/

Feedback on either version is welcome!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 am 

The user names and passwords didn't migrate to the new site?

I read the "Dialog" thread under Other Authoring Systems. It appears you have to scroll through all of the old responses and not just go to a page near the end or just go to new messages. Also the Dialog thread is locked for new posts. Is that due to testing status?

Sorry, I just don't like Discourse. But, the content and level of user expertise here is unavailable anywhere else on the internet.

Thanks to the administrators for operating and maintaining this resource.

fos1

PS. The legacy board generates the "Sorry" message at every visit now. The current forum has become very cumbersome to use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 am 

Passwords are preserved on both test sites. Discourse applies some extra restrictions however: passwords under 10 characters, or with less than 6 unique characters, or that are from a list of the top 10K most common passwords are blocked. Those are all settings we can change, however they seem like sensible restrictions to me.

Read tracking does work in Discourse, however it may not have transferred tracking from phpBB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 am 

DavidG wrote:
I've put up a test instance of the forum using phpBB at https://forum.661.org/. Please take a look.

Looks and feels like a proper forum.

I dig it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am 

Quote:
Discourse applies some extra restrictions however: passwords under 10 characters, or with less than 6 unique characters, or that are from a list of the top 10K most common passwords are blocked.

If this is you, you can use the "I forgot my password" link on the Discourse site to change it and then log in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm 

I prefer the Discourse version. It's way better on mobile. phpBB is missing the "Like" button, which reduces noise and supports the "Summarize this topic" button.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm 

Another vote for the Discourse version. One piece of feedback, though: On a desktop computer, the Categories page (https://test.intfiction.org/categories) feels pretty overwhelming. I'd recommend getting rid of the Latest feed on that page--there is an easy menu link to the Latest posts. (Alternatively, make the latest list on the front page more minimal, e.g. https://community.glowforge.com/)

Thanks to the folks making these changes for all the effort!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm 

My first impression with Discourse is a bit of confusion, as I try to find everything. I like the ease of finding latest topics (which what I always want to do anyway), but I'd be okay if you took Erik's suggestion into account (no preference there).

I saw a notification for 14 unread topics. I thought, 'surely I have more than that unread'. I was very pleased to discover that it shows responses to my own topics that I haven't read yet. I found out that there are conversations and answers from years ago that I never read (like a big discussion on how many mathematicians there are in IF, and readership numbers, etc.). I love that.

I like phpBB but it's been unreliable. For that reason alone, I prefer the new direction (i.e. Discourse).

Edit: This is imported from an older version of intfiction, right? It's missing newer topics and my name change hadn't gone through.

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm 

Are there any major differences between the phpBB test forum and the current forum? I'm just curious because at first glance, the two look basically the same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:15 pm 

Discourse is very modern piece of software. I like some features, like cleaner typography without tables inside tables, even syntax colouring is there, that's really nice, however like all modern software there are some very annoying things about it preventing normal usage. For example something as usual as scrolling through text is almost impossible, on my computer - when I grab scrollbar and move it, instantly it lags, jumps in random manner and whole screen is replaced with completely blank page so I don't see where I am, then it takes a second or two until text appears again. Or I select whole thread of 50 posts with mouse, ctrl+c, ctrl+v to text editor and only a small fraction of content gets copied. Both those are thanks to infinite scrolling already discussed, so nothing new, I'm just frustrated how absurd is to broke something granted for ages. Isn't there any chance to switch discourse to behave normally on desktop?

Migration seems fine most of time, but there are many glitches in code samples like on https://test.intfiction.org/t/general-code-help/13548, unrecognised line breaks mostly in my code (probably CRLF vs LF or something like that), sometimes start and end of code is misplaced for unknown reason. And I would strongly welcome code blocks not to be limited to max-height and smaller font size/line breaking to prevent horizontal scrolling.

Oh and some posts in tads forum are marked as closed, which is very weird, I hope it just mistake or test, I expect https://test.intfiction.org/t/playing-w ... site/13849 to be open for any additional questions and reports about given topic so everything related is together on one place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next