intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update to 3.0.7-PL1
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to update the board to the latest version of phpBB, probably later tonight (if I can catch a good point where nobody is on, so as not to interfere with active posting). It looks like this version has RSS feed support built in. If so, that'll be a big plus. I'm also going to investigate whether there might be a "theme" that supports tree-view browsing, which was brought up by a recent RAIF topic. Not sure such an animal exists, but if it does, I'll see about setting it up.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Update to 3.0.7-PL1
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:07 pm 

Cool. Thank you Merk.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

The update went quickly and smoothly. And I've enabled feeds. But.... don't know how to access the feeds yet. Presumably there's some kind of feed-builder that lets you pick what you want and generate the URL to the feed for you, but for the life of me, I'm not seeing it.

Also, this version fixes the problem with GD-image CAPTCHA (although I personally find them too hard even for a human to solve), as well as question/answer (which is what I've currently enabled), and something I saw mentioned in the RAIF discussion called "reCaptcha."

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 pm 

Merk wrote:
The update went quickly and smoothly. And I've enabled feeds. But.... don't know how to access the feeds yet. Presumably there's some kind of feed-builder that lets you pick what you want and generate the URL to the feed for you, but for the life of me, I'm not seeing it.

Thanks for the update, Mike. The feeds are working--yay!. Here's the most recent one for your reference:

Quote:
Interpreters, Add-Ons, and Tools • Re: Gargoyle for Mac
from intfiction.org by bcressey
RealNC wrote:

I was under the impression that Spatterlight was actually "Gargoyle for Macs"... :P

Spatterlight is a very fine Glk implementation, but it is not the same as Gargoyle. I don't believe they share very much code at the library level, though I am not very familiar with the Spatterlight source. They have a similar set of interpreters, though Gargoyle's are more current since Spatterlight is not maintained.

Gargoyle uses Freetype to display fonts where Spatterlight and Zoom use native OS X font rendering. As a consequence, its output looks identical across platforms, and is more faithful to the font's design. It substitutes certain ligatures and replaces quotes with smart quotes. It uses subpixel rendering on LCD monitors and adds a lot of whitespace to make reading easier.

Because it doesn't use native text capabilities, some common UI features (such as scrollbars) are either implemented differently or not at all. This makes it difficult to compare to other libraries, which typically target one and only one UI toolkit. Readability is enhanced but at some cost to usability. Whether or not you find the program worthwhile will depend on which area you emphasize.

If you haven't used it before, it's worth downloading it to take a look.

Statistics: Posted by bcressey — Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 am

I guess if there aren't any changes you want to make to the text feed, you don't need to access the feed-builder ;)

--Erik

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm 

Yay -- thanks very much!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm 

Merk wrote:

There don't seem to be any links on the pages, but your web browser should pick up the links in the headers. Check the address bar for the feed symbol.

It offers feeds for "intfiction.org", "News", "All forums", "New topics", and "Active topics", as well as whichever board and topic you happen to be looking at. Seems pretty comprehensive!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 pm 

Emerald wrote:
There don't seem to be any links on the pages...

There are for me (using Google Reader).

Emerald wrote:
It offers feeds for "intfiction.org", "News", "All forums", "New topics", and "Active topics", as well as whichever board and topic you happen to be looking at. Seems pretty comprehensive!

I hadn't noticed that yet. Very cool!

--Erik

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Oh -- right. I'm using an obsolete browser. That's probably why I'm not seeing anything. Or else the links only appear in the alternate style (I'm using the original theme). I dunno. I'll hunt a little more, and try in Firefox. :)

(edit)
It looks like the "intfiction.org" one is the most useful, since it actually shows each new post made. The others show only the first post in new topics, or the list of boards, or other seemingly less useful lists. Now, I have this set to "20" posts. Is that too many? Too few? Or do RSS readers automatically grab the latest frequently, so stuff beyond the 20 in the latest "grab" is still visible? I'm still an RSS newbie I guess. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 pm 

Merk wrote:
The update went quickly and smoothly. And I've enabled feeds. But.... don't know how to access the feeds yet.

In Firefox, there's an icon for it in the address bar. The central feed's URL is:

http://www.intfiction.org/forum/feed.php

There are others too. They get listed when you click on the feed icon in a browser that recognizes feeds.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:58 pm 

ektemple wrote:
Emerald wrote:
There don't seem to be any links on the pages...

There are for me (using Google Reader).

On the forum itself, I mean. A lot of sites have a "subscribe with RSS" link somewhere on the page, as well as the meta-tags in the header, but it looks like phpBB just has the meta-tags.

I haven't actually bothered to subscribe to any of the feeds, since I've already made visiting this forum part of my daily Internet routine. :)

Merk wrote:
It looks like the "intfiction.org" one is the most useful, since it actually shows each new post made. The others show only the first post in new topics, or the list of boards, or other seemingly less useful lists.

I guess the other lists would be more useful on high-traffic forums - you might just want to see the new topics and subscribe individually to the topics that interest you. Or something like that.

Merk wrote:
I have this set to "20" posts. Is that too many? Too few? Or do RSS readers automatically grab the latest frequently, so stuff beyond the 20 in the latest "grab" is still visible? I'm still an RSS newbie I guess. :)

Google Reader automatically grabs updates at intervals, but I think most desktop RSS readers don't. (It's been ages since I used one, though, so I might be wrong. Google Reader is good enough for me.) Even Google Reader's automatic updating doesn't always catch everything, though.

I'm thinking a good rule of thumb might be: average number of posts per day + 10 (to allow for sudden increases). Seeing as I'm not using the board's RSS features, though, I might be the wrong person to offer advice...