The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:10 pm 

Mumble can.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm 

jkj yuio wrote:
$33/month for the server sounds a LOT. is there really that much traffic.

I've just been too lazy. I originally started paying for it many years ago when I ran my online games. It was great at the time -- and current. I needed a dedicated server for what I was doing. Since then, the demands on it have decreased, but I don't relish the thought of setting up a new server, configuring pop3 and exim and httpd and all that again, getting sendmail working, etc. I just haven't wanted to touch it.

It's on CentOS 5.11, which reached end-of-life last year. This morning, I was able to manually install the latest version of OpenSSL (1.1.1), but it looks like the version of Apache (2.2.3) is the latest in the CentOS 5.11 archive repository, and doesn't support the +TLSv1.1 and +TLSv1.2 flags. Either that, or it's compiled with a version of mod_ssl that doesn't.

So at this point, I'd either have to manually install an updated version of Apache, or just get a new box with everything already installed. Thankfully, it at least supports TLS 1.0, although that's already out for things like PCI-DSS and will probably end up being discontinued in future browsers too...

If we have any Linux experts around, maybe you've got some tips/commands for downloading and installing an updated version of Apache. I already messed up the certificate for a while this afternoon, and kind of don't want to break anything else at this point. Alternatively, I can set aside a weekend to set up a new server.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:02 am 

Discord no, Mattermost can be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 am 

Consider linode.com - excellent resources, price, and extreme service. Highly recommend. I had dedicated servers up through 2009. Linode is a better option, easy to scale and migrate.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:05 pm 

fos1 wrote:
Consider linode.com - excellent resources, price, and extreme service. Highly recommend. I had dedicated servers up through 2009. Linode is a better option, easy to scale and migrate.

Jeff

I second this. I've had my own servers hosted at Linode for many years. My only gripe is that they don't fully support BSD. The short life of Let'sEncrypt keys is not an issue for me. I use GetSSL (https://github.com/srvrco/getssl.git) and have a cron job run it every day to check all my keys and update if necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:52 am 

I have a couple of servers using Let's Encrypt. I have a reminder on my calendar to update the certificate every couple of months. It is a simple command line command: update-ca-certificates. I guess I could set up a chron job but it doesn't take much effort either way.

v/r
Jeff

PS. For security, I have ssh disabled. I just go in through the a port available on linode's admin panel for simple commands. I only enable the SSH server on rare occasions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

I strongly recommend setting up a cron job when a server uses letsencrypt. Schedule it often enough that a single mysterious network failure won't lead to expired certs.

You say it doesn't take much effort to renew by hand, and this is true. But what we know about IF-related sites is that they usually stay up a long time. You don't know where your attention will be in five, ten, fifteen years.