intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 am 

Hi,

I'm gonna propose something and make a little experiment. I feel that the level of discussion of the games of the comp is very little. I don't mean to criticism the quality of it, but I feel that the games, the threads are being under-reviewed and under-discussed. And I have a theory: it is because the nature of the thread. Every review is lost in the pages of long threads that are difficult to discover. Of course there are others factors, like people unwilling to discuss openly about works during the comp, etc. But I will like to propose that we put each game reviewed in his own thread. To see it the discussion level improves a little.

I will start this me myself, but unfortunately in the author's private forum. So feel free, if you like, to start this idea here in the public discussion.

Regards.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm 

I started a thread about discussion last year, too. My feeling then and now is that we have a respectable number of reviews, but that reviewers are posting their individual opinions, not really discussing games with each other. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18105

I like your idea of organizing reviews by game, if only to juxtapose the reviews and invite participants to reply to discuss multiple reviews together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:18 pm 

Yeah, although I feel some games are under-reviewed, my proposition is to improve discussion within each review.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm 

And thanks for that recommendations. That is great thread to read.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:01 am 

This is worthy, but it seems like it is a bit beyond the abilities of a standard message board. We might need something else, or to add some features, for it to work. As-is, since we only have 25 topics per page, that means that at least half the comp games get bumped down.

That might not be so bad. Some games will get discussed more than others. And if even one thread catches fire, that's an overall plus. But is it worthwhile for the message board dev(s)? Could there be a discussion box maybe even on the IFcomp.org site(again, a lot of work)? I'd love to see a place for centralized discussion. Twitter seems a bit too freeform aside from the 140 character description. Maybe we haven't found the right platform.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:45 am 

Even with the multiple-page issue, I think sorting by game would be an improvement. I know that I would be much more likely to read and interact with others' reviews if I could go to a single thread for the game I just played and read all of the discussion (and maybe add to it). The thought of going through every reviewer's thread to see whether each one has a review just feels like work. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:53 am 

I think it would be fine. A respectable number of people have been reviewing every game, so every game will get some time on the "first" page.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:40 pm 

You could post reviews on IFDB...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm 

IFDB is not a forum for discussing games in a group; it's a place where individuals post "reviews," and other folks can post "comments" on reviews, where the comments are subordinated to the reviews themselves (indeed, the comments are hidden by default behind a "View Comments" link).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:01 pm 

To address concerns that busy game threads could crowd out quieter non game threads, game threads could have their own temporary forum separate from this forum.