intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:00 pm 

Yeah, for the issue of navigate all reviews of one game, I think that could be solved with IFBD. If I'm correct, it allows to link to external reviews, isn't it?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 pm 

Yes, and a while back I went through the SpringThing entries and linked to a bunch of external reviews. I don't think I'll have the energy to do it for IF Comp, though, plus I don't think it's quite as appropriate to link to forum reviews as blog posts.

Dan, point taken about IFDB not being a great venue for actual discussion. I was mostly just solving the "it's hard to find all the reviews for a game to compare them" problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:54 pm 

For your curiosity, the French-speaking gamebooks community (yes, it exists... hey, don't laugh, it somehow gave birth to quite interesting CYOA graphic novels) does the one thread per game thing for its own annual contest, and discussions are far easier that way. Authors and readers interact with each other freely, and often new ideas are born from the conversation. Of course the community is far smaller (if only because far less people speak French than English), so it doesn't really have the leniency to split itself among several blogs and forums if it hopes to survive, but it's still a good example I think.

The English-speaking Visual Novel community also does the same, but actually structured and interesting reviews often end in blogs and video games websites nonetheless.

I guess there is no perfect solution. If you want exposures, you need reviews on more visited websites, but they are no place for practical discussions.

A compromise could be to do a one review by thread here AND to list in it all external reviews (perhaps one review or link to a review per message). That would be far more easy to use that this damn spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am 

To add to the discussion, here's a handful of posts from another thread earlier during the comp, on the topic.
reasie wrote:
Okay, I can see the format here is 'person name reviews' and then you just go through the games as you do them. I would have thought it would make more sense to have a thread for each game and then add reviews to those?

dgtziea wrote:
I think I agree with reasie that having game specific discussion threads might make sense in addition to the individual reviewer threads. Although adding ~60 threads might be a bit much, so maybe... groups of four per thread might make sense?

That way, if there are people that aren't going to play as many games, or who only want to say a couple sentences, or who only want to comment or discuss something about a specific game, they can still chime in.

Is anyone else interested in this? Or have reasons against it?

catacalypto wrote:
My instinct is against this for several reasons. If it's done with individual threads, lack of coverage might feel more pointed for an author who has one page of posts in their thread, vs. one who has five pages of thoughts. If games are grouped together in units, and a heated discussion or debate sparks up over one of the games, people might have to wade through a bunch of comments to participate in a discussion about another game, and it could get complex quick. Plus, having one reviewer's thoughts in one place gives me a sense of consistency about what they like and what they look for, and thus it's easier for me to tell if they don't like something I'd like, or vice versa. But I welcome other thoughts.

aschultz wrote:
The idea of one thread per game is neat, but yeah, there'd be a lot of clogging.

And it might be duplicating efforts bit, because IFWiki does conglomerate reviews by game, so we have that resource if we want it.

A thread with just one post that links to all the entries would also be doable. The only problem is that only the person writing the post could edit it.

However, the author forum has had (for a few years) a spreadsheet of which authors reviewed which games, so maybe we could have the same thing here. It's a bit of work to get started, but once it is, it seems to run smoothly. Any author from 2015 or 2014 could copy/paste the formatting.

And I like a lot of what dfabulich wrote here: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18105&start=10#p92782

I'm wondering if per-game threads would be more welcoming than just having reviewer threads, especially to newer members, and if that might lead to more people contributing their thoughts as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:08 am 

I'd certainly be more likely to post my own thoughts and mini reviews in per-game threads. I'm very limited for time to play IF Comp games, so only get through a fraction of games each year (22/58 so far in 2016). And after I've played each one, and scored it, I like to look for reviews to see what other people thought. And that is really hard work right now! Googling helps, for external sites, and the site search for here, and of course the reviews spreadsheet. But I'd find per-game threads much easier to use personally. They would also prompt me to respond with my own thoughts, picking up on things that others have posted. As it is at the moment I won't start my own thread, because I think I'll write so little for so few games. But if I could post in per-game threads one game at a time I probably would.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:50 pm 

I like the idea of per-game threads, too. I would love to actually discuss things more--the way we do reviews now it feels a little like shouting into the void sometimes, you know?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:44 pm 

The Xenographer wrote:
I like the idea of per-game threads, too. I would love to actually discuss things more--the way we do reviews now it feels a little like shouting into the void sometimes, you know?

It often does feel like we're standing around at the eight grade dance waiting for that first person to cut a rug.

You know, I think Spring Thing might be a good comp to do a test run on this, since it'll have relatively fewer entries. We could see how the crowding etc. works.

Post subject: Reviews vs conversation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:03 am 

A review is like the answers to a set of questions.
What type of work is it?
What is the main character like?
What happens in the plot?
Good ending(s)?
Do you recommend it?
To unpack a review into a conversation, you can write down the questions and post each question to the thread allowing time for people to discuss it. This is interactive or social reviewing. You can post your brief thoughts before each question to seed discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:15 am 

That sounds like a great idea, heartless zombie! (no insult intended ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 pm 

Spring Thing is on! Who wants to make a game thread?! Can we get authors interested in making threads for their own games?

Should threads land in the Competitions forum or in the Announcements forum alongside unrelated games?