intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:35 pm 

Hey everyone. Now that IF Comp is over, it's postmortem time! Though this will be a little different. I'm curious to know what you guys would like to know about the game, so this will be a sort of Postmortem Q&A. Ask anything about:

• The Idea for the Game
  • The Writing Process
  • The CSS
  • The Characters
  • Endings
  • Anything you can thing of!

So let's try this out!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:46 pm 

How did the game evolve from its original concept, if at all? And did you make any major changes as a result of tester feedback?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:14 pm 

HannahPS wrote:
How did the game evolve from its original concept, if at all?

The game actually evolved a lot from it's original concept. The game started as a game titled "Roadside Vacancy" about a woman talking a road trip to meet her family at Thanksgiving. It was going to be more about the road trip, about stopping at weird place, and about being alone for a long drive it the car. It was also set in Middle America, instead of the Southwest, because nothing is scarier than corn.

As I was thinking about that, however, I ended up with the idea of the magical, otherworld motel, and that kept ballooning up to take up more and more of the game. Eventually, I realized it needed to be about the motel proper. Soon after, I settled on Maria Elena as a protag, and made it be more about the different ways people experience the motel, rather than one woman's lonely journey.

Quote:
And did you make any major changes as a result of tester feedback?

The biggest change was really the removal of the save feature. It worked fine for me, but it broke for so many other people in so many ways, that I didn't figure out how to fix it in time. I'm hoping to have one in the post-comp release though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:33 pm 

Hi, I liked the game. I thought the presentation was very well done.

and so,

had you thought of a sequel or expansion for some of the ideas introduced; a revisit, development of some of the hotel characters. There seemed to be something going on with the proprietor that wasn't revealed. time travel. the rest of the mine. the job offer. new guests in the other rooms. dean's car. etc.

I thought there was a lot of potential material to play out.

my 2c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:14 pm 

jkj yuio wrote:
Hi, I liked the game. I thought the presentation was very well done.

and so,

had you thought of a sequel or expansion for some of the ideas introduced; a revisit, development of some of the hotel characters. There seemed to be something going on with the proprietor that wasn't revealed. time travel. the rest of the mine. the job offer. new guests in the other rooms. dean's car. etc.

I thought there was a lot of potential material to play out.

my 2c

Yay! Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As of now, there isn't really anything in the works by way of expansion/sequel. There was a lot that got left out (especially about Dean), but I told the story I wanted to tell for this particular game. Maybe at a later date, I'll come back to the motel, but it's not something I'm planning right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:53 pm 

I realize you may not want to tell us "what does it all mean?" but is there any theory people have had that you've liked--whether it was actually intended or not--and has there been a theory that's just been waaay off?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:08 pm 

Owlor wrote:
I realize you may not want to tell us "what does it all mean?" but is there any theory people have had that you've liked--whether it was actually intended or not--and has there been a theory that's just been waaay off?

Hehehehe, there have been several theories that have been WAY off from what I thought while writing, but I won't name them because they're also the ones I've liked a lot. The work isn't just mine anymore and if people think certain things about the Jackalope, weeelll who am I to stop them? :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:46 pm 

I'm having trouble phrasing this question, but: Did you intend all the endings to have more or less equal weight, or do you consider some endings to be "better" than others?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:57 pm 

Doug Orleans wrote:
I'm having trouble phrasing this question, but: Did you intend all the endings to have more or less equal weight, or do you consider some endings to be "better" than others?

I actually did intend this. I wanted to have all the endings feel right according to the choices you made. Especially the final choice of the PC.

This being said, I do have a favorite ending (though I don't consider it more canon than the others). It's the one where
Spoiler: show
You and Lex stay and Mari looks back at Lex and Dean and sees them as "everything she ever wanted. "

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 pm 

Is it in the same universe with your other games?