intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:22 pm 

Some people will pay for the added convenience of a packaged app versus a downloadable game file. I did exactly this with Shade and Heliopause, and I sold a *few* copies.

(I added a tiny amount of illustration to each game, and sell them for $1. So it's a mixed argument.)

A game like this should be very expandable, if you can make it work at all. So creating a larger version for commercial sale seems like the best strategy.

But it's ambitious to begin with, so concentrate on the first stage first.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:56 pm 

IF Comp games are supposed to be completable within two hours of play time, so it definitely seems like you wouldn't want to try to jam this full game into an IFComp entry. Mike Preston/Ade McTavish entered a minigame from his commercial project Worldsmith into the IFComp, so that might be a model for how to do it. (I forget whether Worldsmith had been made freely available at that point.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:33 pm 

IFComp requests that games are "complete" as presented. You don't want to end with "And that Was Chapter One of The Elvish Plumber Saga! Soon to be released episodically on Steam!" or on some kind of cliffhanger "To Be Continued!" or "This way leads to the main city which is not in this version of the game, TBD."

Scarlet Sails was an IFComp game, and the author ended up expanding it extensively, doubling (I think?) the word count and getting it hosted through CoG.
Worldsmith was a minigame that was a self-contained part of a larger commercial narrative, and the author presented the game in the Comp as a singular diversion. (In this case, the minigame itself was a complete playable thing, and thus not really a "demo" of the larger narrative, which was a commercial game but then released for free a short time after the Comp.)
Emily is Away got disqualified because the author was talking up releasing it as a commercial game while the Comp was still happening, essentially using the IFComp as a promotion for a commercial product.

The main thing the rules are intending is that you should not enter a game that is a "demo" or obviously tied up just to make IFComp. Depending on how blatantly obvious this is, a game may not be explicitly disallowed, but judges tend to downvote an obviously incomplete narrative.