Looking to team up on a fantasy game

I’ve got the very early beginnings of a fantasy game, but I’m no game designer, and while I’m a pretty good writer in terms of actual prose, my plotting is pretty weak. I was wondering if anyone would like to team up to work on a fantasy game. I’ve got a couple plot elements, but I’d be willing to start completely over if people want to start from scratch as a team.

What I Can Do for a Team

• Research: I’m very good at this, and if I don’t know how to find something, I probably know someone who does.
  • Prose: I’m a good writer when it comes down to actually crafting sentences and paragraphs.
  • Editing: I think about grammar and the clearest way to say things far too often.
  • Brainstorming: I can come up with dozens of possible directions to take with a character, setting, theme, etc.
  • Basic Programming: I can put together the basic framework of rooms and objects and apply descriptions, leaving more advanced programers more time for the complicated work.

What I’m Looking for in Team Members

• Collaborative Attitude: Though we may need to elect a team leader eventually*, I’m hoping to form a team dedicated to creating a great piece of IF, not just to pushing their own ideas.
  • Skill: I’m going to ask that people interested in writing post a couple paragraphs of their work, a sample plot idea, or both. If you’re not comfortable posting, you can PM me instead. Try not to give away all of a plot idea, in case we end up using it.
  • Creativity

Please post if you’re interested or have any questions or ideas.

crosses fingers and waits

I could help in any way needed. I would be good at more complicated coding and mechanics. I apologize. I cant help in terms of a plot line, but when one is established, I would be happy to help in any way possible.I am also currently working on an I.F. simulation of Walt Disney World. If you would like my help, all I would need is instructions.

Thanks, Mike! I’m really glad you’re interested. I’ve posted a general structure in the General Game Design area for critique. so please take a look at that and I’ll PM you what I’ve got for a plot so far.

I’ll join.
I could be a Co-brainstormer if that’s alright with you.
I am familiar with Tads 3 (playing not programming) and could give you some good ideas for it inspired from what other people have done (https://intfiction.org/t/off-the-top-of-my-head/2450/1).

How’s this going? Still need someone with a plot? I’ve got something I’ve been working on for a while, but lack the skills to implement (though I’ve started trying to learn I7). Problem is the idea has gotten huuge. So if you still need a story for your skills, I need your skills for my story.

Setting: Rural Italy during the renaissance.
How is that fantasy? Well witch burnings were pretty common in this time and place.
Magic system: Based on Greek and Roman magic systems of Pythagorus and other great sorcerers of the age (look it up if you don’t believe me :p) - but mostly sympathetic and / or herbal magic.

What do you think?

I think it’s about time we had a successor to the I, Damiano setting!

Wow, thanks for that UM. I presume this is what you’re talking about. I’d never heard of the game before. The description looks interesting.

My ideas on magic come from reading. Wikipedia is what started me off, though I’ve bought a few books since then. There was a good section on the origins of magic in Wikipedia which got me thinking. Before that I started with a character idea, and then an NPC idea, and then a setting (which was actually medieval England in the beginning), then did some reading. Then looked at burnings and saw that renaissance Italy would be a lot better (and the Renaissance is such a sexy time - who could resist?).

The idea has gotten huge - and I can’t code more than the basic locations. I’ve looked at Mike and Sark’s profiles and they haven’t been around for months, so I hope they’re still keen on doing something like this. :slight_smile:

The game isn’t any great shakes, but it’s derived from a trilogy of novels which have more interesting things to say about your proposed context.