intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
Posts: 35
Non traditional UI? What kind of crazy talk is that!?

As they say, one picture says more than a thousand words:

Image

Text Fiction presents the story like an instant messenger and comes with several text assists to cut down on typing on Android's on screen keyboard. The app is free and open source. You can get the terp from Google Play or sideload it from my text adventure project page.


Last edited by onyxbits on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Image seems broken, although going to imgurl works just fine.

It looks neat, and is presumably intended for mobile play.

_________________
~Björn Paulsen


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
Posts: 35
Eleas wrote:
Image seems broken, although going to imgurl works just fine.

It looks neat, and is presumably intended for mobile play.


*FIXED LINKS*

Yes, it is entirely aiming at the mobile community. There is no Desktop version of it.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2479
Location: US - Central
I love this a lot. Instant messaging with a game makes a whole lot of sense, and feels like it removes a lot of the typing awkwardness. Being able to touch any word on the screen to add it to your response is very intuitive.

I tried playing ANCHORHEAD and found that I didn't enjoy that a long description printed out and scrolled to the bottom, so I was always needing to scroll back up to read the description when something happened. Is it possible to have an option to print a long text but stick at the *top* of it? I like that your typing row and your touch list of commands sticks right below the text and remains constant. The touch command buttons...I wish they were bigger. Since text boxes and menus slide out from the left, could there be a list of commands that pulled out from the right with bigger buttons and the written commands?

Otherwise this is really intelligent, and I think it would be amazing on a tablet-sized screen where I wasn't needing to back so much. I love that you can call up a whole keyboard but you don't need to if you can just pick out words from the game text. This sort of fulfills what I want out of a hyperlink interface - not so much that i have a list of set actions to touch and carry out, but that I can touch any word and create *my own* sentences out of them to respond and play the game..


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
Posts: 35
HanonO wrote:
I love this a lot. Instant messaging with a game makes a whole lot of sense, and feels like it removes a lot of the typing awkwardness. Being able to touch any word on the screen to add it to your response is very intuitive.


Glad to hear :).

HanonO wrote:
I tried playing ANCHORHEAD and found that I didn't enjoy that a long description printed out and scrolled to the bottom, so I was always needing to scroll back up to read the description when something happened. Is it possible to have an option to print a long text but stick at the *top* of it?


I'm afraid not. You can only tell android to scroll the list to bubble number X, but you don't have any fine control on where exactly you are dropped of.

HanonO wrote:
I like that your typing row and your touch list of commands sticks right below the text and remains constant. The touch command buttons...I wish they were bigger.


Making them bigger is not the problem, screen size is. Taller buttons would mean less room for the story board and as you mentioned, some bubbles already don''t fit in entirely.


HanonO wrote:
Since text boxes and menus slide out from the left, could there be a list of commands that pulled out from the right with bigger buttons and the written commands?


Interesting idea. Technically, it could be done, but that would overthrow the whole UI concept. I am pretty set on Text Fiction looking (and feeling) like an IM/SMS app since most people are familiar with that, which does a lot for acceptance.

HanonO wrote:
Otherwise this is really intelligent, and I think it would be amazing on a tablet-sized screen where I wasn't needing to back so much.


What screensize are you playing on? Would a smaller fontsize help (would make the word touching more difficult, though)?

HanonO wrote:
I love that you can call up a whole keyboard but you don't need to if you can just pick out words from the game text. This sort of fulfills what I want out of a hyperlink interface - not so much that i have a list of set actions to touch and carry out, but that I can touch any word and create *my own* sentences out of them to respond and play the game..


I would actually love to drive the keyboard further into the background. The problem I'm having with it is that typing on it in portrait mode is unergonomic and in landscape mode there is way too little space left for the storyboard. Any ideas about this would be welcome.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm
Posts: 440
Location: Sweden
Nice!

onyxbits wrote:
HanonO wrote:
I tried playing ANCHORHEAD and found that I didn't enjoy that a long description printed out and scrolled to the bottom, so I was always needing to scroll back up to read the description when something happened. Is it possible to have an option to print a long text but stick at the *top* of it?


I'm afraid not. You can only tell android to scroll the list to bubble number X, but you don't have any fine control on where exactly you are dropped of.


If I understand the problem correctly, couldn't a solution be to scroll to the input bubble before the long one? Auto-scrolling past the start of the new text would be annoying. (Or I may be misunderstanding what you're talking about. I don't have an Android device, so I can't try it myself.)

Something about the text looks odd to me (both font and magins), but that may just be that I'm used to iOS. Is this how texting on Android looks? (When Apple updated to iOS 7, I thought the new OS was quite ugly, but after getting used to it, I like it. This may be the same thing going on.)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
Posts: 35
Trumgottist wrote:
Nice!
If I understand the problem correctly, couldn't a solution be to scroll to the input bubble before the long one? Auto-scrolling past the start of the new text would be annoying. (Or I may be misunderstanding what you're talking about. I don't have an Android device, so I can't try it myself.)


Won't work, I am afraid. I tried it already.

Trumgottist wrote:
Something about the text looks odd to me (both font and magins), but that may just be that I'm used to iOS. Is this how texting on Android looks? (When Apple updated to iOS 7, I thought the new OS was quite ugly, but after getting used to it, I like it. This may be the same thing going on.)


That is how "medium" text looks like by default. I will probably have to make it configurable.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2479
Location: US - Central
I was playing on a regular size phone - not one of the huge galaxy ones - in portrait mode. I can see six of the bottom row of icons. Making the text smaller would render it unreadable. I had no problem reading as it was at regular IM size...the only problem will be in games with verbose descriptions. A small cellphone may not be your target device, but it does work even with that slight annoyance.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am
Posts: 2479
Location: US - Central
I don't know if there's a way to do this in Android - what if there was an option say if the next bit of text to display has >128 characters that it puts the entire description in a text box overlaying the screen which hopefully could start at the top and be scrolled, then swiped to dismiss? I'm probably imagining what the capabilities are incorrectly.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:17 am
Posts: 35
HanonO wrote:
I don't know if there's a way to do this in Android - what if there was an option say if the next bit of text to display has >128 characters that it puts the entire description in a text box overlaying the screen which hopefully could start at the top and be scrolled, then swiped to dismiss? I'm probably imagining what the capabilities are incorrectly.


That would be possible, but it sounds like the cure being worse than the desease.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group