intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am 

Brilliant. We need more inventions like this.

David C.
www.textfyre.com

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:50 pm 

Just to give note: released v1.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm 

Version bump: v2.1 is out.

The big new thing is that borders/corners are touchable and allow for moving around in the given direction. It works reasonably well on my Nexus 7, but it may be a bit fiddly on smaller screens. Could use some feedback on that feature.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm 

onyxbits wrote:
Could use some feedback on that feature.

I tried the directional feature out on my Samsung ACE(small screen). It definitely works but it feels a little weird.

Speaking for myself I think actual buttons(no matter how small/thin) on each edge/corner would go a long way for usability.

If you want to get really fancy, allowing the user to drag the entire screen that direction(like you would a home screen but into all 8 directions instead of just 2). Or when you drag on the screen a compass pops up with arrow buttons you can release on. There are a whole bunch of ways of doing the drag thing that could work for this.

The dragging thing could get in the way of another suggestion I had for an issue I found. Once again this is just my opinion and I'm starting to feel like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth here but... I love how you can hold onto a word to put it into the input box. But on a small screen (where I believe this is most useful because the keyboard sucks) its hard to tell which word I am clicking and I often click the wrong word over and over. Highlighting the word when I am holding down and allowing me to drag around until the correct word is highlighted would be a HUGE improvement in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:59 pm 

sunkin wrote:
Speaking for myself I think actual buttons(no matter how small/thin) on each edge/corner would go a long way for usability.

Tried that, looked shitty. On the upside: it's a theme issue, so it can easily be changed. On the downside of the upside: I suck at theming XD.

sunkin wrote:
If you want to get really fancy, allowing the user to drag the entire screen that direction(like you would a home screen but into all 8 directions instead of just 2). Or when you drag on the screen a compass pops up with arrow buttons you can release on. There are a whole bunch of ways of doing the drag thing that could work for this.

Won't work as up/down is already hogged by the storyboard, so you can't have north/south. Maybe there is a nice way of toggling between movement and scrollmode, but I can't think of anything fancy right now.

sunkin wrote:
The dragging thing could get in the way of another suggestion I had for an issue I found. Once again this is just my opinion and I'm starting to feel like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth here but... I love how you can hold onto a word to put it into the input box. But on a small screen (where I believe this is most useful because the keyboard sucks) its hard to tell which word I am clicking and I often click the wrong word over and over. Highlighting the word when I am holding down and allowing me to drag around until the correct word is highlighted would be a HUGE improvement in my eyes.

Don't worry about the horse. I like brainstorming ;). Highlighting won't work:
  • Your finger already obscures the word -> it will also obscure the highlight
  • There actually is already a highlight function (though it is meant to be used as a textmarker for improtant words) -> long touch a word to toggle.
  • The only way to make it less fiddly is increasing the textsize (sure, large font takes up a lot of space, but thats where TTS is really handy).
  • You can double tap empty space within a bubble. That will erase the last word copied.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 am 

onyxbits wrote:
Highlighting won't work:
What about having the word appear on the input line, but have it replaced when ones finger moves on top of another word? Only the word one is on when releasing remains.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 pm 

Biep wrote:
onyxbits wrote:
Highlighting won't work:
What about having the word appear on the input line, but have it replaced when ones finger moves on top of another word? Only the word one is on when releasing remains.

Not practical:

• There is no discovery mechanismn that chatbubbles could use to learn whats on the commandline. And the way the code is structured, it would be a nightmare to add.
  • The whole idea only works for commands with at most one object. Take Adam Cadre's 9:05 for example. The game will inform you that "you have to get out of the bed first". Curently you can touch the command as "get out of bed". Your proposal would prevent that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:51 pm 

onyxbits wrote:
The whole idea only works for commands with at most one object. Take Adam Cadre's 9:05 for example. The game will inform you that "you have to get out of the bed first". Curently you can touch the command as "get out of bed". Your proposal would prevent that.

Why would that be? Assuming all those words are available in the text, put your finger near "get" and move it till "get" shows up on the input line, then release the finger. Repeat for "out", "of", and "bed".

Regarding the bookkeeping, it seems the program would have to keep track explicitly of what is on the command line, and maybe each time replace the whole line with the array of words collected so far. But then I am not the coder..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:28 am 

Just give Text Fiction a small face lifting:

* Better icons for the KEYBOARD and GO ON button
* More font choices (Comic Sans anyone?)

Anyone wanna suggest more TTF fonts (midn the licenses) to include?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 am 

onyxbits wrote:
(Comic Sans anyone?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next