intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Found: Qt Glk
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:59 pm 

I have found this code form David Fletcher:
http://www.bubblycloud.com/qglk/

A port of the Glk library to Qt, even a bit old, the build should work.
I couldn't compile it on Ubuntu and it might be helpful an upgrade to QtQuick.

Edit: to make clear this is not my code.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Found: Qt Glk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:48 am 

It would be nice to see these modernized, along with Glk for SDL called NanoGlk that is out there too... it needs updating from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 pm 

☺ so many interesting projects

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 pm 

I tried it, there was a binary for i686 Linux and it worked.
However, after Gargoyle's smooth fonts I couldn't stand how it displays the text.
QTads seems to look better in comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:54 pm 

Thanks for the note. I have to make a list of projects :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 am 

I've started to prototype a QT 5.9 Glk app built on top of RemGlk JSON instead of the lower level direct Glk like David Fletcher's effort. The primary advantage I see with levering RemGlk as a middle layer is that it presents Interactive Fiction turns as frames of changes (RemGlk generations) instead of having to wrangle a bunch of string streams on a character-by-character level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 am 

I've found that you *always* want a middle layer that collects generations of changes. (iOSGlk is built this way.) Just a question of what language you write it in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 pm 

I already started a remglk back-end for brahman (qtquick 5.9 codebase). I agree the Json interface is a better plan than going direct.

The problem was how to step up the rich integration over just text. For example, access to the world model. can remglk, or an adaptation thereof, return a list of items carried for example. How would the front end go about querying the known map is another problem.

I don't have answers to these for glk, so i stopped.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 pm 

jkj yuio wrote:
I already started a remglk back-end for brahman (qtquick 5.9 codebase). I agree the Json interface is a better plan than going direct.

Anything to share?

jkj yuio wrote:
The problem was how to step up the rich integration over just text. For example, access to the world model. can remglk, or an adaptation thereof, return a list of items carried for example. How would the front end go about querying the known map is another problem.

I don't have answers to these for glk, so i stopped.

I don't think any Glk does what you are seeking. Glk, as far as I have experienced it, does these things: character output to the player, input of the next command ("go north"), mouse clicks, hyperlink callbacks, sound start/stop, a single timer (tied to the input, a kind of auto-input time event), and graphics assets references based on an index, saving and reading data files, filename dialog triggering, window open/close/size/position (for graphics or character output).

There is no concept of "intelligence of IF related to the story" in Glk - it doesn't know the name of the player, no idea of the story author's name or copyright, it doesn't know the room the player is in, it doesn't know the inventory, it doesn't know the map, it doesn't know the score of the game, it doesn't know when a user enters or exits a room, it doesn't know if an item is picked up or dropped, it has no idea of what commands are valid to input in a room (input hinting). All that is outside of the "low-level" scope of what the Glk API defines and I would say at a more "intelligent" or "smart" level of IF awareness of "objects" and "story events".

That's been my experience at least.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 pm 

The plan is to open source our codebase. Right now, there's not a lot in the way of documentation. I'd also like to work on a more stable front-back interface before publishing it, which brings me to the second issue; interfacing to backends like remglk.

You are right that there is no glk way to get to this "inside information" (as far as i know).

Is it possible to make an I6 extension that provides calls that can be made to determine these things. I am presuming that almost every game uses the standard library together with some extensions. To that extent, there is a defacto "standard" world model.

For example, all games use the same way of "knowing" what the player is carrying. This data could be exported with a custom extension. could it?

Now, whether that goes through GLK or around it is another question. For one thing, i like the idea of using a JSON interface, so if it could be passed through remglk, that could work.

So, in general, the problem is to;

design and define a standard JSON information interface schema.

To cover what i have so far, I'm currently using JSON interfaces (with WIP schema) for;

* the sidebar (inventory, things worn, carried in hand, icons, colors, people met, things known etc.)
* the map (known locations on a grid, box size, color, text in box, exits).
* options in (means to pass generic information, eg game difficulty)
* options out (game controlled color theme, story meta data, cover page content, credits etc.)
* choice box (choices, greyed-out choices, presentation style etc).

These are by no means final nor complete. I would welcome the idea of exploring the possibilities here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next