intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:53 am 

I look forward to this tutorial as well - in general, I'd love to learn how to make Inform's playable website into a contained app. Fluid will do this with the push of a button on OSX, but the developer isn't keen that people distribute what they make with it.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:16 pm 

Juhana wrote:
A big part of that decision is also the fact that Emscripten (the software that compiles the interpreter from C to JavaScript) generates code that automatically requires a server, and changing it would be a lot of work.

I'm confused by this. Wouldn't you use Quixe instead of the Emscripten generated code? What am I missing?

"It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset by other snares." - The shade of High Lord Morham, The Wounded Land - Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:19 am 

I notice that this uses Git interpreter and CheapGlk - https://github.com/vorple/Git/commit/bc ... abeebbc75b

Is the Git interpreter modified to tell Vorple that a file is closed (to call vorple.fileClosed function)? Are there other mods to Git?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 am 

DavidC wrote:
I'm confused by this. Wouldn't you use Quixe instead of the Emscripten generated code? What am I missing?

That is also a very good question! Vorple replaces Glk almost completely, except for printing plain text, reading input and, for compatibility with existing code, bold and italic text formatting. Git with CheapGlk provides exactly that with no changes needed to Git and only minimal hooks in CheapGlk. Quixe+GlkOte on the other hand is a (nearly) full implementation of Glulx/Glk so I would have to rip out most of the unnecessary stuff and maintain a fork. With Git I can use the main repository directly with no extra work or maintenance required.

Another reason is that HugoJS uses the same setup (C interpreter as the engine) and shares the same interpreter interface (called Haven) which means that any updates to the interface automatically apply to both interpreters.

And finally, on some browsers Git is 2-3 times faster than Quixe. That means that performance won't be a bottleneck for any Counterfeit Monkey-sized project that does expensive calculations (compared to offline interpreters). A big project like that could distribute the game in an executable that uses Firefox to run it and it would be almost as fast as with a native Git interpreter.

The only downside is that the engine's filesize is 1.6 Mb compared to Quixe's ~0.5 Mb, and even that isn't that bad unless you're on a very slow mobile connection. And of course that it can't run directly from the filesystem.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:23 am 

That sounds great!

By the way: what about Inform6 support?

Thanks in advance ;).

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm 

Hi Sothoth! The I6 libs are essentially done, I just need to test them all, but it shouldnt take too long (core seems to work nicely). I'm hoping to have that done by next weekend. I'll probably be the maintainer for these, so don't hesitate to get in touch :)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 pm 

mulehollandaise wrote:
Hi Sothoth! The I6 libs are essentially done, I just need to test them all, but it shouldnt take too long (core seems to work nicely). I'm hoping to have that done by next weekend. I'll probably be the maintainer for these, so don't hesitate to get in touch :)

Superb! Thank you very much, mulehollandaise :). I'm interested on it very much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 pm 

The preview version of the Inform 6 librairies for Vorple 3 is now available on Github!

Every feature from the I7 libs has been ported, and every single example has been adapted. The names of the functions are mostly the same, so a lot of things should be backwards-compatible with the previous version, but expect to need to adapt some things. There are a couple of small bugs (for instance a sometimes incoherent number of new lines printed), which I logged on the repository's tracker. Please play around with it and let me know if you encounter any other problems!

Keep in mind that Vorple 3 is only compatible with Glulx (whereas the previous version was only Z-Machine compatible). If you really want to keep it Z-Machine, the old version of the librairies is still available on my Bitbucket.

Happy Vorpling!