intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:34 am 

chrisryan wrote:
Shifting focus between input elements would still trigger the soft keyboard, I believe.

Your statement isn't making sense to me. As I (speculate) understand the issue, the sequence is this:

1. User is at > prompt of story, types in "go west", sent to Glulx to advance the story turn / frame
2. input element removed or focus to nothing by the web app
3. Android OS responds by hiding the keyboard
4. Glulx responds with next turn / frame of the story to draw
5. input element is added + focus put on input by the web app
6. Android OS responds by activating the keyboard at the newest > prompt

I'm suggesting step 2 changes: shift focus to another input field on the HTML page. Changing focus between two input fields of an HTML page, like using [tab] key on a keyboard when entering a username and password for login to Amazon.com - does not make the keyboard hide and reappear.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 am 

I see what you're saying, however your description can't be the entirety of the issue, because it gets stuck in a hide/show loop that persists after the input is recreated and the next turn has been rendered. It would not actually be a big issue if the keyboard hid and showed again one time between turns, IMO. Annoying, but not unplayable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 am 

I believe that none of these issues occur with parchment (for z-machine games). Have you tried looking at parchment code?

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am 

chrisryan wrote:
I see what you're saying, however your description can't be the entirety of the issue, because it gets stuck in a hide/show loop that persists after the input is recreated and the next turn has been rendered. It would not actually be a big issue if the keyboard hid and showed again one time between turns, IMO. Annoying, but not unplayable.

You and I are on different pages. 1) The prompt of City of Secrets and similar that goes crazy. 2) Other 'routine stories' that don't have the crazy behavior, but I still noticed briefly that the keyboard goes away and comes back in routine interaction.

To describe #1 crazy behavior there would be more than the 6 steps going on. But the general issue I'm raising could be the same: Is the input field being removed, disabled, or otherwise? On a hard keyboard / USB / Bluetooth - that works OK, but on a soft keyboard with Android - that's possibly the problem: Android believes there is no need for the keyboard any more.

At this point, what I'm asking for clarity on: What happens to the HTML input field after a user types in a response and presses [enter] key. Is it being removed, disabled, what?

Last edited by allensocket on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am 

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Maybe lines 727-766 in the update function of glkote.js are involved?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am 

craiglocke wrote:
I believe that none of these issues occur with parchment (for z-machine games). Have you tried looking at parchment code?

Not recently. However, I would point out that the issue with Z-machine is that they are almost always "classic two-window layout". This is why a lot of interpreters don't support .z6 stories. And why Android had gone a decade with little to no ability to run Glulx stories - because once you get into Glulx stories like 2010's Best of Three - you have to get much more into Glk features like timers, multiple windows, multiple input sources, etc. Android apps like Son of Hunky Punk, Twisty 1, Text Fiction, etc - all only support two windows, and only one of those windows takes input. That one window can also be practically any size. It becomes much more complex once you have 8 windows in defined places on the screen and multiple places to put a cursor or mouse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 am 

chrisryan wrote:
Maybe lines 727-766 in the update function of glkote.js are involved?

Looks like the relevant code. I have not looked at it before. We could sprinkle console logging into each of these functions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 am 

Whether the keyboard should be hidden after you've entered a command or hidden and then shown only when you tap the screen is a personal preference. Some prefer to have it always visible, others prefer to maximise the space on their phones for reading. Ideally the terps would let you choose.

That's a separate matter from the race conditions shown in City of Secrets. I'd recommend filing a separate issue for the first, but leaving it to be dealt with after the much more serious buggy behaviour of the second is fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 am 

Dannii wrote:
Whether the keyboard should be hidden after you've entered a command or hidden and then shown only when you tap the screen is a personal preference. Some prefer to have it always visible, others prefer to maximise the space on their phones for reading. Ideally the terps would let you choose. That's a separate matter from the race conditions shown in City of Secrets.

Social gate-keeping here? Since the six steps I was discussing before happen extremely fast, keyboard goes away, keyboard comes back - like on the order of 1/100th of a second, why do you think it's not a relevant discussion? I can't imagine user preference to flap the keyboard and flash the screen. The discussion I initiated was about a proposed fix of having a hidden input control and setting focus to it if indeed there is no input field at all set with focus (which is still an 'unconfirmed theory' as to the behavior I'm witnessing and trying to interpret conceptually).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 am 

Quote:
At this point, what I'm asking for clarity on: What happens to the HTML input field after a user types in a response and presses [enter] key. Is it being removed, disabled, what?

(This is about traditional single-window line input.)

The input element is removed at the accept_inputcancel() stage and then a new one is created at the accept_inputset() stage. These are called from the same function (glkote_update), so there's no time interval in which the browser presents a DOM with no input line. However, mobile browsers are obviously still uncomfortable with it.

I guess the direct solution is to keep the input element in the DOM and just move it. I'm not sure if that will actually work, however. The discussion of the CoS-character-input case seems to imply that jQuery's implementation of "move an element within a DOM" will still cause a keyboard close on Android!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next