All my repos moving to Gitlab

Due to the recent takeover of Github by Microsoft, I will be moving all of my repositories from there to Gitlab. For the Interactive Fiction community, this includes the following:

The new URLs are as follows:

For those of you who have collaborated with me on any of these projects, I encourage you to get an account at Gitlab with the same username that you have at Github. That’ll make the switchover much easier.

1 Like

Just moving your development activity, or deleting your github repos?

I’m not sure yet.

I don’t really understand the massive migration. It’s not like Gitlab has the cleanest owners, being as their biggest venture capital funder is Google. Still, it’s good that there’s some heathly competition in the code hosting space.

As bad as Google has become since its founding, I find it a lot cleaner than Microsoft.

In case you decide to leave, I have reserved gitlab.com/i7 for “Friends of Inform7”.

One can assume that your new repos’s url are the same with “gitlab” instead of “github” ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio

Correct. The Inform6unix repo will require some tweaks once the mass migration has calmed down to account for the need to import from two other repos.

I found the news of Microsoft buying out GitHub disturbing, but I’m willing to take a wait and see attitude. They promised not to wreck it. When their words and actions stop matching, I’ll find a different host for my repos.

Given their two latest disasters, Skype and Nokia, I’m not inclined to believe they’ve learned any sort of positive lesson.

While I’m glad to see people finally moving on from Github, I always hoped it would be because they were moving on from Git. :wink:

I’m pretty happy with Bitbucket - it supports Mercurial, and it integrates nicely with JIRA, which is free for established OSS projects.

I still sometimes view stuff on GitHub, although for my own projects I do not use it. I prefer Fossil myself.

I don’t know what would happen when Microsoft owns GitHub; maybe they will require you to convert your accounts to Microsoft.

However, perhaps you could making copies on multiple services, in case of problems with one.

Fossil does sound interesting. However, I’m sticking with Git. I would like Git to add support for bugtracking, wiki, and tech notes.

I’m just shaking my head at all this FUD about Microsoft buying Github.

It’s like you’re all putting on tinfoil hats.

Nokia wasn’t ruined and is anyone really that upset about Skype.

And besides, the people that made those decisions are no longer in power at Microsoft. The ones in power are all open source cross platform proponents.

Does anyone really think Microsoft is going to piss off tens of millions of developers?

It’s not FUD. MS actually has done seriously abusive things towards the Open Source community and continues to do so. I was burned by the side-effects of one of these so-called partnerships. It involved Interactive Fiction.

At the end of 2001, I was contacted by a then up-and-coming vendor of “wearable computing” equipment. Microsoft was a big investor in this. They wanted Frotz customized with hooks to allow for speech input and output that went beyond simply putting a speech recognizer and a synthesizer between the user and the Z-machine. The purpose of this was to showcase how speech IO could revolutionize all sort of applications, particularly ones involving workers in an industrial setting. I agreed to do the customization for a fee to be paid in installments on a contract-agreed timetable of deliveries and acceptance. A couple months into this, the company stopped communicating with me, leaving me with several thousands of dollars in work unpaid. For very complex reasons, I was unable to compel the company to pay up in any way. At about this time, I became aware of one of the officers of this company filing lawsuits against people who criticized him and the company. By and by, Microsoft lost interest in the company, pulled out its support, lots of people were fired, people were convicted of fraud, there was bankruptcy, and the company is now gone.

This is why earlier versions of Frotz contain code stubs referring to speech input and output and is why I never revisited the concept. Since then I have been confidentially told many stories of people being burned by similar and dissimilar associations with Microsoft. These stories were told to me by the people who were burned or by friends thereof with one degree of separation. These stories continue to the present day.

So… My aversion to Microsoft is quite personal.

This episode with Github is remarkable because this is probably the first time Microsoft has done something that directly threatens so many people who stand to be directly affected by Microsoft’s malfeasance.

2001? That’s a bazillion years ago and that’s my point. They don’t do things like that anymore and haven’t in many years. Everyone agrees that MS sucked in the early 2000’s. If you haven’t been paying attention, they changed dramatically.

As I said, I get stories to this day about stuff like this – stuff that’s current.

linuxfoundation.org/blog/mi … -reaction/

“How Microsoft under the leadership of Satya Nadella has now completed its transition from an adversary of open source to a first-class citizen. If you haven’t noticed, Microsoft has been opening up a ton of code and has been hiring top developers who are deeply engaged in open source.”

techrights.org/2018/06/05/micros … direction/

What Microsoft does in public is one thing. What it does when it thinks nobody is watching is different. Microsoft hasn’t changed at all.

That site is the very definition of tin foil hat conspiracy theory.

All it’s saying is that MS has patents, buys or acquire patents, then leverages said patents to do business.

Like every other corporation since the invention of the patent system.

That’s not trolling. Trolling is the East Texas crap where frivolous lawsuits were filed against companies to make a quick buck.

Odd characterization. Nonetheless, that site not only points out MS’s patent activity but also shows that MS is still engaging in bad behavior.

jacquesmattheij.com/what-is-wro … ing-github