Version of frotz hardened for use as a BBS door

I have released a version of the frotz interpreter that is hardened for use as a BBS door (Tested with Synchronet BBS). Prevents people from saving files to specified filenames, shelling out, etc. You can get more info at synchronetbbs.org/index.php/dow … -frotzdoor and I am putting it up on sourceforge as well. Need help getting it working just let me know…

Where’s the source code?

Just put it on github: github.com/fstltna/FrotzDoor

I’m going to have to insist that you add a link from synchronetbbs.org/index.php/dow … -frotzdoor to the source code and that you change the stated license to GPLv2. I didn’t authorize a license change.

No problem, but i don’t understand what you mean about the link.

ok i think i got what you mean. Does it look right now?

It looks okay, but where’s the Git history from your fork?

There is one other problem unrelated to licensing. The Github repository for Frotz is out of date as are every other development repo of mine. If you want the latest code, it’s at gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz now.

COPYING is GPL2, LICENSE is GPL3, that’s confusing and probably wrong as David said above.

I didn’t fork it, just modified it. Will have to look into doing it as a fork for your new server.

The reason I ask is that it seems that your codebase seems to have diverged from the mainline one or two years ago and I can’t tell exactly when. Since that time, there have been significant changes, many of them specifically to make Frotz useful as a door. It would be much better for both of us and other fans of Frotz if you could get an account at Gitlab, fork my Frotz repo there, apply your door changes to your fork, and then make a pull request.

Ok, will give that a try!

Correct. I submitted a pull-request to take care of this.

I forgot about this thread and asked again about FrotzDoor’s origins. After a bit of comparisons, I found that it’s identical to this commit: https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz/commit/a14dc90a.

Well, technically you did. Your sources say:

you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

That means it’s OK if I modify and redistribute Frotz under the GPLv3.

2 Likes

Ah, so I did. I’ll look into changing it all to GPK v3.