intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:08 pm 

This is to announcement that an implementation of the Glk API has just been merged into the master last weekend, and is now available in daily builds from the ScummVM website. At the moment, only ScottFree and Frotz are implemented as sub-engines under the API; the others will be gradually added in as time goes by. Part of the process will be cleaning up the various codebases and conforming them to the ScummVM coding standards.

Finally, I'm able to play my classic Infocom favourites directly from ScummVM :D

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:09 am 

Well that's a long time coming! You must know as well as I, I can see your avatar right there in the SCUMMVM forums also, 8-10 years ago... what made them change their minds?

https://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.ph ... e2acaba287

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:30 pm 

Well, attitudes have somewhat relaxed over time, for which I'm thankful. Once the decision to allow RPGs to be included was made, there was, IMHO, a gradual shift in thinking of ScummVM more in terms of a platform for adventures/stories, rather than just narrowly point and click adventures. Plus, the ScummVM is more flexible now than it was back then.. it now properly supports Unicode, TrueType fonts, and the clipboard. Which makes it easier to include the bells and whistles similar to other standalone systems.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 pm 

dreammaster wrote:
At the moment, only ScottFree and Frotz are implemented as sub-engines under the API;
Does this mean that there are bug fixes and compatibility improvements for ScottFree with SAGA games?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:28 pm 

auraes wrote:
dreammaster wrote:
At the moment, only ScottFree and Frotz are implemented as sub-engines under the API;
Does this mean that there are bug fixes and compatibility improvements for ScottFree with SAGA games?

Depends what you mean by compatibility improvements. The engine will run on all the different systems and consoles ScummVM supports. It also supports auto detection of supported games, and ScummVM’s enhanced save dialog. But if anyone wants to test the games, any found bugs can be reported on bugs.scummvm.org, and they’ll be looked into.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:38 pm 

dreammaster wrote:
Depends what you mean by compatibility improvements. The engine will run on all the different systems and consoles ScummVM supports. It also supports auto detection of supported games, and ScummVM’s enhanced save dialog. But if anyone wants to test the games, any found bugs can be reported on bugs.scummvm.org, and they’ll be looked into.

Actually, to be specific, the autodetection only currently recognizes the freely available games. The current list can be found here. But any other valid game with a .saga extension will still at least be detected. even if it can't give it a known name.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:29 am 

Since you posted that list I had to go take a gander, first going "yup, there's all the Scott Adams games, and yup, there's all the Digital Fantasia games", then going "oh huh, didn't know about the Bruce Hansen games", then going "didn't someone write one a few years ago for the IFComp... ah yes, "R (Pron: Arrr...)"... then finally going "OK, does someone maintain a master list" and finding http://solutionarchive.com/list/orderby ... system,11/

Is it fair to expect that those all will be / should be / are supported? (And are there any missing from the list? I gather that a number of people rolled their own games in its format following the publication of Pirate Adventure source code in the Dec 1980 BYTE Magazine...)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 am 

(Sorry, every time I see new support added for SCUMMVM my first impulse is to ponder "quick, how many borderline titles can we sneak in under this opening?")

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 am 

(Now I'm wondering about Jyym Pearson's Other-Ventures and Scott Adams' own Return to Pirate's Island 2 in 2000.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 am 

(This fixation is nutty, I don't even enjoy that vintage of text adventure games!)