intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 am 

dreammaster wrote:
Depends what you mean by compatibility improvements.
I was talking about the bugs in ScottFree release 1.14 for Unix and Linux, by Alan Cox, and the differences between the game loop of ScottFree and the original drivers.
Robert Schneck talks about some ScottFree bugs in the README file of his Asfdcurs interpreter: asfdcurs.tar.gz->README->Changes from ScottFree revision 1.14
https://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXscott-adamsXinterpretersXscottfree.html

I had found other problems, but a long time ago that's why I have to look at it again.
For example, with ScotFree, you can't read the time limit (for the artificial light source) in alternate counter eight (8). With Adventure interpreter version 8.5 for TRS-80, you can.
In TRS-80 interpreter, Automatic Actions are ignored if they are placed after Player Input Actions; but not with ScottFree. This is the case in Cloak of Darkness, which is not playable on TRS-80 interpreter.
And other things.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:39 am 

UnwashedMass wrote:
Is it fair to expect that those all will be / should be / are supported? (And are there any missing from the list? I gather that a number of people rolled their own games in its format following the publication of Pirate Adventure source code in the Dec 1980 BYTE Magazine...)

I don't see why not. I'd just need to find a reputable source for them if they're free. Or, if not, for someone to give me a list of the games' filesizes and md5 of the first 5000 bytes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:44 am 

auraes wrote:
I was talking about the bugs in ScottFree release 1.14 for Unix and Linux, by Alan Cox, and the differences between the game loop of ScottFree and the original drivers.
Robert Schneck talks about some ScottFree bugs in the README file of his Asfdcurs interpreter: asfdcurs.tar.gz->README->Changes from ScottFree revision 1.14
https://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXscott-adamsXinterpretersXscottfree.html

Thanks for letting me now. I'd never looked at the Scott Adams games/format until working on ScummGlk, so I wasn't aware of any extant issues with ScottFree. I'll definitely look into it further when I get back from my Christmas holidays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:11 am 

I'm not sure on the flexibility of ScummVM in handling story files (or perhaps is too long time I don't follow its development..) but I wonder how an engine designed for point-n-click IF can handle parser-based story files.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:12 pm 

I gave it a quick test, but it doesn't seem to work on MacOS.

I got the latest dev build (dated "Dec 16"). I created a folder containing zork1.z5 and used the "Add Game" button to select the folder. (*Not* obvious to a scummvm newbie...) The app recognizes it and shows it in the library ("Zork I: The Great Underground Empire"), but when I hit "Start", the app crashes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:41 pm 

zarf wrote:
I gave it a quick test, but it doesn't seem to work on MacOS.

You're probably having a similar issue that another user had, in that the particular daily build doesn't include a needed datafile. Try downloading the fonts.dat file from here and putting in either the same folder as the game or executable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:55 pm 

Piergiorgio d'errico wrote:
I'm not sure on the flexibility of ScummVM in handling story files (or perhaps is too long time I don't follow its development..) but I wonder how an engine designed for point-n-click IF can handle parser-based story files.

Fairly well in my admittedly biased opinion. This isn't the first engine to have heavy use of text. The Sierra AGI games, for example, use a text parser, as do so some of the earlier SCI games. Starship Titanic also has a fairly heavy text parser for conversation with the game's bots. Obviously, it would be unfeasible to play these games on a console without a keyboard, but that applies to the Sierra games just as much as ScummGlk.

About the only area I'm not entirely happy with is that of resizing the game window (in windowed mode). If you use the OpenGL renderer in ScummVM, it allows you to resize the window. But this is just a stretching done on the output surface, not the screen my engine renders text on. Thus, if you do increase after starting a game, it will only increase the size of the text, rather than keeping it the same size and increasing the number of lines and columns available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:00 pm 

A tester for my new ScummGlk engine reported a somewhat interesting problem playing Beyond Zork. In the attached save there's an endurance indicator visible, and if you W, SW, SW, then the text description fills up the remaining area of the info box, and it displays a '[MORE]' and Use 'down arrow' to scroll. However, it doesn't seem possible to do so, since the up/down arrows are used to scroll through the history of entered lines in Frotz. I've tried as well using Windows Frotz, and it also doesn't work, indicating it's an issue with Frotz itself.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how the original Beyond Zork interpreter handled this? Is a down arrow key meant to interrupt and abort the read line with a special return value to indicate it? Or is the arrow key down meant to some kind of special processing without interrupting the line entry that Frotz currently doesn't implement?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:30 pm 

Quote:
Try downloading the fonts.dat file from here and putting in either the same folder as the game or executable.

Didn't help. I'll try a different daily build sometime in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:49 am 

dreammaster wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how the original Beyond Zork interpreter handled this? Is a down arrow key meant to interrupt and abort the read line with a special return value to indicate it? Or is the arrow key down meant to some kind of special processing without interrupting the line entry that Frotz currently doesn't implement?

Nowadays of course the convention is to scroll through command history with the up and down arrows, but Infocom interpreters never did such a thing. The up and down arrows in Infocom's Beyond Zork interpreters did just what the prompt indicates, paged the description window. But Frotz lets you do that with the Page Down and Page Up keys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next