NaNoWriMo...worst acronym ever?

Just kidding about the subject, sort of. Is anyone here going to throw their hat in next month, has anyone participated before? How did it go for you?

nanowrimo.org

Surely everyone wants to write a novel after playing and reviewing IFComp, no?

Not so much as wanting to finish an entry for the next IFComp :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of this before, and it seems to be getting bigger.

Since I was a kid in 5th grade, I wanted to be a writer. Once I started programming, that kind of fell to the side (maybe that’s why I like how IF blends writing and programming). I was even featured in the first two editions of Market Guide for Young Writers (Kathy Henderson – I think the name of it may have changed after the first few publications).

I get in moods where I want to write a book. I sometimes get the motivation to start, but it rarely goes far. I wrote some stupid novels of 200+ pages when I was in middle school – basically corny Star Wars rip-offs which have long since been lost. I’ve thought about entering some short story contests (the Hubbard “Writers of the Future” or the Star Trek “Strange New Worlds” competition), but I never do.

I kind of consider it a pipe-dream. I still struggle with spelling, grammar, and (equally important) vocabulary. I keep thinking I’ll read more, create more IF, and then one of these years when I’m 40 or 50 or 60 I’ll have the experience and expertise to write something that might be worthy of publication.

Or maybe not.