Text Adventures UK style : 80s to 90s

Folks, if anyone wants to delve into the UK text adventure game scene then you could do a lot worse than start with this book which will give you a good idea of the games being developed here in the 80s and 90s.

:smiley:

amazon.co.uk/Twilight-Inven … B077SY55CP

Interesting book. Are any of these old games still around?

Very much so! Text adventure games in the spirit of these are still being created and the original games themselves can almost all be found in this ROM pack …

emuparadise.me/Complete_ROM … n_One_File_ROMs/ZX_Spectrum/96373

Enjoy!

Wow, that looks like a fun book! It was games like these that were my first introduction to IF. I had an Acorn Electron and my friend owned a ZX Spectrum. Neither machine possessed sufficient RAM to run the Infocom games, which I was unaware of until another friend acquired an Atari ST in the very late 80s.

There’s something compelling about the lurid titles of these games: “The Violator of Voodoo”, “The Fabled Treasure of Koosar”, “Celtic Carnage” that makes me desperately want to play them, though I suspect that reading the reviews is probably more fun…

I received a 404 page not found error for the emuparadise link. I will try looking around on the site.

The automatic linking is breaking on the parentheses. Try this link instead.

Give them a try! :smiley: Most of them are in the download ROM pack in the earlier message. :smiley:

Our games were very much ‘text adventure’ rather than ‘IF’ in the sense that the emphasis was on the game and the puzzle; rather than the prose. If puzzles are your thing then you’ll like these games, which were almost all cottage-industry produced. I don’t think these even include the Magnetic Scrolls games.

Give them a try! :smiley: Most of them are in the download ROM pack in the earlier message. :smiley:

Our games were very much ‘text adventure’ rather than ‘IF’ in the sense that the emphasis was on the game and the puzzle; rather than the prose. If puzzles are your thing then you’ll like these games, which were almost all cottage-industry produced. I don’t think these even include the Magnetic Scrolls games.

Thank you! I’ll note that for next time. Cheers. :smiley:

Wish I could play some of these games, but emulators and screen readers don’t exactly get along. Even BeebEM has issues with certain adventures. What I need is a speech friendly C64 emulator :smiley:.

There is supposedly an accessible Spectrum emulator that would let you play a load of the old games. I don’t know how well it does but it may be worth a go. See forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=16575

on UK adventures, I recommend, instead of DL an huge archive of all ROMs, incl. arcades, action etc, using the excellent WoS (World of Spectrum archive, whose allow cherrypicking the adventure game.

OTOH, I occasionally dabble with Quill :wink:

side note to mr. “Blindhunter”: I don’t know if you’re aware, but the UK adventure scene was dominated by the Sinclair Spectrum, and you make the mistake of naming the Commodore 64… :wink:

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergirogio.