intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:51 pm 

Quote:
A story that would be a logistical nightmare - when the player takes inventory, they are simply told they are "certain you have everything you need tonight." Whenever a stopping point in the story is reached, the player can pull out nearly any logical item they can think of, and therefore change the course of the story. The theater ticket taker asks you for your tickets, and you can pull out tickets, or money to bribe him, or a gun to shoot him, or a handkerchief into which you sneeze and it turns out to be monogrammed in a way that signifies you as the theater owner. I love the idea of near-endless possibilities but any amount of branching would get ridiculous quickly.

I started working on a game a lot like this where the player has a bag with a whole lot of junk in it, and the game proceeds by guessing what you might have in your bag that would help the situation. I might return to it, but it was a lot of writing.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm 

With some preliminary "Family Feud" style testing, you could probably pretty quickly generate a list of the most likely 90% of items players would come up with in given situations.

Profile Send private message