intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 pm 

I know this is not a common choice, but for me the best Infocom game was The Witness. It's a mystery story, written in a somewhat noir hard-boiled fashion, which is a genre of fiction that I like. But what makes the game work so well is IT'S A GAME YOU CAN ACTUALLY FINISH! It's not particularly hard and there's no need for perfect timing to finish it successfully.

If you haven't tried it, I encourage you to get a copy and give it a whirl. It was included in the Lost Treasures of Infocom as well as pretty much every other collection they put together.

A couple of reviews:
https://www.z-machine-matter.com/2010/0 ... tness.html
https://www.filfre.net/2013/03/the-witness/

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:04 pm 

Spellbreaker deserves to be higher on that list. Certainly above Sorcerer. The hands-down most well-designed puzzles in any Infocom game, or in any game really. What little story it has is amazing too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:10 pm 

Cannot deny that. Spellbreaker is quite good. Why the hell didn't anyone write a series of novels based on the Zork universe? I mean, there was the Infocom books by Avon, but come on. Zork is one of the greatest game universes imaginable, only second to the Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy universe. It deserves something akin to the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:44 am 

I had played (and loved) a number of Scott Adams titles, as well as Zork II and III, before I found Planetfall. It was a turning point; the experience has stayed with me to this day.
I was already very much on board with the idea of text adventures, but Planetfall awakened me to the possibilities of interactive fiction.

Yes, you're wandering a deserted location picking up everything that isn't nailed down, but this time there are legitimate reasons. Over time you discover a civilization, with a history and a terrible problem, and you get to be the hero. This is a science fiction adventure, with some decent world-building. There are fascinating gadgets to poke at, and you can figure out what to do with them. It's clear that you're making some progress. And Floyd's comments add so much flavor and background to everything.

One other significant aspect made the world seem larger and more interesting:
Spoiler: show
The red herrings. Other games had rooms where nothing important happened, but Planetfall also had unopenable doors, seemingly useful but unreachable objects, and obviously important objects that couldn't be used for anything. I was really surprised when I won, because there was so much I hadn't done yet. Some disagree, but this was a very positive attribute in my mind.

I've spent a lot of time exploring the Infocom canon, and I have a lot of love for these games. To me, Planetfall is the shiniest gem in the pile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 pm 

Results so far....

Attachments:
results.jpg
results.jpg [ 52.64 KiB | Viewed 1646 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:50 pm 

By comparison, the top 10 Infocom games from the IFDB Top 100 list:

11. Planetfall
12. Trinity
26. Enchanter