What is THE best Infocom game?

Reasoning aside. I want to know people’s favorite. I mean, saying “best” could mean, commercially best and if that’s your answer, fine. But best could just be a personal favorite for whatever reason.

Click this sentence to be transported to the survey’s webzone!

3 Likes

Trinity, of course. Next Wishbringer.

1 Like

Thought about this and it’s a several game tie. I can’t pick just one just like I tell all five of my kids their my favorite.

2 Likes

Spellbreaker!

2 Likes

Results so far…
results.jpg

A Mind Forever Voyaging. It has exactly what I’m looking for in science fiction, but then again, it’s not what I expected from a text adventure when it comes to gameplay. It was a weird experience going through the game (a fuzzy mix of confusion and excitement,) and thus it sticks out from the rest.

I suspect it being my favourite is based on the memories it invokes rather than it actually being “the best” Infocom game. Although this is probably true for any game I played in the early 90s (which is when I discovered computer games.)

1 Like

Results so far…
Untitleddfdfd.jpg

for me, was hollywood hijinx, but I have a penchant for “exploring the eccentric mansion” type of IF because, believe it or not, I actually live in a large, admittely eccentric mansion.

[rant]thank to the Divine, I learned IF programming back in the 8b era, because the usual IF language basic exercise “map your house” is not a basic exercise for me…[/rant]

2 Likes

Results so far…
survey.jpg

I think it’s harder to pick 1 favorite infocom game than it is to eat just one Lay’s Potato Chip. Favorites are Trinity, A Mind Forever Voyaging and Beyond Zork. But then you have the classics like Planetfall and Enchanter at 4 and 5. So many good games to choose from, aaarg! :smiley:

1 Like

I know this is not a common choice, but for me the best Infocom game was The Witness. It’s a mystery story, written in a somewhat noir hard-boiled fashion, which is a genre of fiction that I like. But what makes the game work so well is IT’S A GAME YOU CAN ACTUALLY FINISH! It’s not particularly hard and there’s no need for perfect timing to finish it successfully.

If you haven’t tried it, I encourage you to get a copy and give it a whirl. It was included in the Lost Treasures of Infocom as well as pretty much every other collection they put together.

A couple of reviews:
z-machine-matter.com/2010/0 … tness.html
filfre.net/2013/03/the-witness/

Spellbreaker deserves to be higher on that list. Certainly above Sorcerer. The hands-down most well-designed puzzles in any Infocom game, or in any game really. What little story it has is amazing too.

1 Like

Cannot deny that. Spellbreaker is quite good. Why the hell didn’t anyone write a series of novels based on the Zork universe? I mean, there was the Infocom books by Avon, but come on. Zork is one of the greatest game universes imaginable, only second to the Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy universe. It deserves something akin to the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

I had played (and loved) a number of Scott Adams titles, as well as Zork II and III, before I found Planetfall. It was a turning point; the experience has stayed with me to this day.
I was already very much on board with the idea of text adventures, but Planetfall awakened me to the possibilities of interactive fiction.

Yes, you’re wandering a deserted location picking up everything that isn’t nailed down, but this time there are legitimate reasons. Over time you discover a civilization, with a history and a terrible problem, and you get to be the hero. This is a science fiction adventure, with some decent world-building. There are fascinating gadgets to poke at, and you can figure out what to do with them. It’s clear that you’re making some progress. And Floyd’s comments add so much flavor and background to everything.

One other significant aspect made the world seem larger and more interesting:

The red herrings. Other games had rooms where nothing important happened, but Planetfall also had unopenable doors, seemingly useful but unreachable objects, and obviously important objects that couldn’t be used for anything. I was really surprised when I won, because there was so much I hadn’t done yet. Some disagree, but this was a very positive attribute in my mind.

I’ve spent a lot of time exploring the Infocom canon, and I have a lot of love for these games. To me, Planetfall is the shiniest gem in the pile.

Results so far…
results.jpg

By comparison, the top 10 Infocom games from the IFDB Top 100 list:

1. Planetfall
  2. Trinity
  3. Enchanter
  4. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
  5. Spellbreaker
  6. A Mind Forever Voyaging
  7. Lurking Horror
  8. Stationfall
  9. Sorcerer
  10. Leather Goddesses of Phobos

@blindHunter, there was in fact a small series of Zork-themed novels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork_books?wprov=sfti1

The single one I read in high school did not inspire me to want to read any more. It seems a pretty transparent attempt by Activision to wring some extra money from the IP they bought when Infocom went under.

1 Like

Trinity, definitely, it’s so imaginative and beautifully written, I like how it’s basically a cold-war Alice in Wonderland

After that Spellbreaker, I still remember I really liked the spell system, the puzzles, and the setting: for me it stuck out from the others in the trilogy

Also The Lurking Horror, as far as I know it’s the only Infocom horror title, I liked the game setting and story but had a lot of trouble with the puzzles !

6 Likes

This is difficult!

Trinity is the most hauntingly beautiful.

I know Sorcerer might be an unpopular choice, given how Spellbreaker is probably an objectively better game in most respects, but I love the dark feel of Sorcerer and the
time travel puzzle
is one of my favorite Infocom puzzles. I remember loving that the first time I came across it.

It’s hard not to mention Zork I, which might be a bit more primitive in a technical sense compared to many of the later games, but that’s the one I played most often as a kid and in my head I have very, very specific images as to how everything in that section of the GUE looks and it is that game more than any other which kicked off my love of IF.

I’d argue that Zork II has the antagonist that I most love to hate. I really, really, hate the Wizard of Frobozz and
there are few commands in any Infocom game as emotionally satisfying as “DEMON, KILL WIZARD.”

Although some of the puzzles in Ballyhoo need some work, I would argue that that game has the most evocative atmosphere and well-implemented characters.

Arrggh, this is too hard. I’m just coming up with a list of why I like different games!

4 Likes

I thought Trinity was the best because I learned so much from it. It was well-implemented and well-written. It had great ‘feelies’ which really tied into the game-play.

2 Likes