Howard Sherman article at Adventure Classic Gaming

Has everybody already seen this article?

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/features/219/

I had thought about buying a couple of his games, just so I could post reviews. But man, this guy is arrogant. I found myself unable to resist posting feedback of my own, in the comments section. I probably should have left well enough alone. :slight_smile:

Edit: ARGH, the URL and ITALICS tags seem to be broken again. Letā€™s see if it can auto-parse:
adventureclassicgaming.com/i ā€¦ tures/219/

I saw that. The guyā€™s a real piece of work. Deluded, full of himself, and - ā€œ150,000 copies of Malinche games sold!ā€ - an out and out liar to boot.

Iā€™d love to know where his 150,000 customers are (they sure keep themselves quiet), or why he feels the need to spout this kind of gibberish. He doesnā€™t seriously think anyone believes him, does he?

It doesnā€™t bother me that he sells his games. It doesnā€™t even matter to me if theyā€™re bad (never played, so I canā€™t say). But what bugs the hell out of me is that he pretends to be the only one still writing IF, and when called out on it, he pretends to be the only one still writing IF that matters. That really irks me. He justifies calling himself the ā€œlast implementor of Interactive Fictionā€ by likening it to the commercial days of Infocom. In other words, he is the only one writing and selling new IF (others may have done so, but arenā€™t currently working on anything new, so says Howard). This is purposely misleading. Howards narrow interpretation isnā€™t what comes to mind. People will believe heā€™s the only person writing IF. And he likes it that way.

No, I donā€™t believe he has sold 150,000 copies of his games. I did pretty well with my BBS games, a decade ago, and only sold maybe 1,000 copies (less of the Worldgroup version, but it was a lot more expensive). Even with exposure in numerous spots for my online games, subscriptions for eight years wouldnā€™t equal 150,000 full-priced Malinche games. So no, I donā€™t buy it. I think itā€™s more wordplay. He has ā€œmovedā€ that many copies. I.e., heā€™s including demo download statistics (or something) in those totals. Who knows? I just wish heā€™d be more honest about what heā€™s doing.

I once had an e-mail off him after I posted a review of ā€œFuture Boy!ā€ on RGIF. He suggested I check out some of his games for ā€œexamples of truly great commercial gamesā€. I pointed out to him that someone had sent me their copy a while back and he practically hit the roof. First of all, he insisted on me telling him the name of the person who had sent me their game ā€œwithout Malincheā€™s express permissionā€ (I think he was going to take them to court or something), then he threatened legal action against me for receiving goods I hadnā€™t purchased. His e-mails ran for pages and pages. My own response to him was a little shorter. Two words. The second being ā€œoffā€.

I think he has serious control issues. Most of the time he acts like a little kid and throws tantrums when he doesnā€™t feel heā€™s getting his own way, and the rest of the time heā€™s just an obnoxious piece of work.

I hate to think of the damage he causes to the IF community on the whole. One of the few times IF gets a mention in the wider world and this is what people see. Hardly going to encourage them to check out anyone elseā€™s game, is it?

I wonder what stipulations are in the 60-day money-back guarantee? :slight_smile:

Jimmy Maher makes a valid point in his post at RAIF. Check out this link (so it can auto-parse URLs, from Merkā€™s post):

groups.google.com/group/rec.arts ā€¦ 665?hl=en&

Sherman is not lazy, and he is, to a point, helping to promote IF to the world. The problem is heā€™s trying to narrow down the field to his particular company only. His article at the adventure gaming site comes off more as a publicity stunt for Malinche Entertainment than an article about playing and writing IF. Never mind if he doesnā€™t give credit where itā€™s due - thatā€™s been his prerogative ever since he sold those games, though it doesnā€™t reflect well on his personality.

If he had, as other journalists, written more about IF in general (putting into light all the current efforts towards IF whether commercial or not, whether ā€œamateurā€ or not), then he might not get the same violent reactions as he is getting now.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong about self-promotion. Peter Nepstad wrote about his experiences before with selling his game in RAIF; if Iā€™m not mistaken, Aaron Reed also did a lot of promotion during the Slamdance competition. Shermanā€™s brand of self-promotion goes beyond whatā€™s necessary for Malinche Entertainment to flourish.

Itā€™s best to keep everything civil. Ignore him. Or better yet, study and learn from what he does well (for commercial IF) and leave out the bad. Weā€™ve probably all had enough bad news for the day, donā€™t you think? 8)

I donā€™t doubt his dedication or relentlessness, but Iā€™ve come to see that there is a reason Tessman and Nepstad are favored by the community, while Sherman is not. I donā€™t think itā€™s strictly the quality of their respective games. Howard Sherman is telling people that heā€™s the only one writing Interactive Fiction. If he mentions the wider community, itā€™s to say that we are inconsequential wannabes.

There is nothing wrong with self-promotion, no. This particular article, though, is too narcissistic to be taken seriously. It also seems more appropriate as an advertisement ā€“ not as an adventure gaming siteā€™s feature article. Even if his intent was strictly to describe his experiences writing and selling interactive fiction (which seems to be the case), he does it in a really sleazy way. He focuses on how great he believes himself to be, instead of focusing on his achievements and letting the world decide whether or not heā€™s great.

I really wish that article wouldā€™ve been less about ā€œThis is me, look at me, look how great I amā€ and more about ā€œhereā€™s what my games are like and how I write them.ā€

It wouldā€™ve done far more to improve the way he looks, and possibly help his business more than an egotistical self-praise article.

Frankly, Iā€™m surprised that ACG even published something like that. I wonder if Howard paid them for ad space or somethingā€¦because thatā€™s what it reads as.

Iā€™d prefer to see an interview, with someone asking controlled questions to him, and see how he responds.

Then youā€™re in luck! They actually did interview him, back in 2003:
adventureclassicgaming.com/i ā€¦ views/176/

At least in that interview he doesnā€™t come across as so egotistical. The interview is actually pretty good, at least, itā€™s what Iā€™d expect to read from any publication doing an interview of a game designer.

Just went to the Malinche website. Just reading the screenshots from his games gives a good indication of their quality. Some tidbits:

Weā€™re near Iran and my XO is looking at a map of North Korea?

Great proofreading, that.

There are others but itā€™s just too much to type. Although, some of his games have attractive boxes with feelies, which could be cool.

If I have spare cash I might buy one of his games and do a write-up for SPAG.

I thought the same ā€“ maybe buying a couple of his games, and sending reviews to SPAG. What would be even cooler would be to buy the commercial version of Future Boy, buy the Worldā€™s Fair Mystery, and one of the Malinche games, and write a review package for SPAG.

Iā€™d also love to partner up with some other IF authors, and try to come up with some really good commercial IF. Iā€™d say, sell it at the token price of $5 per game. Perhaps get four authors to write a game each, spend $1 on the shipping/media, and split the other $4 per game sold. Something like that. Then, call ourselves ā€œImplementorsā€ and see how Malinche responds. :slight_smile: Edit: Or even better, maybe sell 5 games in a $10 bundle. If they were really good, original games, maybe even part of a set or series or sharing a theme, I think that would attract people.

But, thatā€™s a whole different discussion, and Iā€™m knee-deep in too much stuff at the moment anyway. Maybe in 2007. :slight_smile:

I think thatā€™d be extremely cool. If you want a hand shoot me an email.

Of course, Iā€™m not too hot to trot on the coding side yet, but I have some interesting story ideas, and I think I can write. :wink: Guess the IFComp will be the final judge of that, anyway.

Anyway, $5 per game is far more reasonable than the $19.95 digital download price for Malincheā€™s games, or the princely sum of $29.95 for the boxed versions.

I wonder how many hours of play his games have? I canā€™t imagine they are as detailed or lengthy as something like Anchorhead.

I have all three. ā€œFuture Boy!ā€ I reviewed a while back and Iā€™m playing ā€œ1893: A Worldā€™s Fair Mysteryā€ now. One of these days Iā€™ll get around to writing a review of it. ā€œPentari First Lightā€, one of the Malinche ā€˜classicsā€™ Iā€™ve had for a while since some kind chap sent me his copy but I gave up with it after a while because, well, itā€™s just not very good. I thank my lucky stars I didnā€™t buy it because it would have been a serious waste of money.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a decent review of a Malinche game? Anyone that isnā€™t Howard Sherman in disguise, that is?

Iā€™d love that kind of thing. Even if it didnā€™t generate much in the way of cash, itā€™d be nice to do something commercial just for the sheer heck of it. And who knows? We might even sell 150,000 copies. :slight_smile:

EDIT: of course, bit above when I said ā€˜has anyone ā€œwroteā€ a decent reviewā€™ should have actually been ā€˜has anyone ā€œseenā€ a decent reviewā€™. :slight_smile:

My guess is that he designs tall, instead of wide. What I mean by that is, you implement just whatā€™s necessary to support the puzzles, and you make the puzzles such that the playerā€™s time is spent trying to figure out what to do next. Itā€™s a far harder thing to design wide. This means deeper implementation, multiple options and paths, unnecessary but rewarding verbs/actions, and a more thought-provoking story. A wide game is long not by overly difficult puzzles, but by more content.

Iā€™m at a point in my life now where even excellent sales (Iā€™m thinking a couple thousand copies over two or three years) of a $5 game wouldnā€™t make a huge difference to me. Itā€™s ā€œfor the heck of itā€ that Iā€™m most interested in. If Iā€™m going to write something to sell, Iā€™ll necessarily put more time into it, make sure itā€™s more polished, and take the entire effort more seriously. Even at $5, I would be responsible for the quality of the game. Just like the IFComp in years past, itā€™s the kind of motivation I need to actually produce something instead of just dreaming up interesting concepts.

I just hope the IF community would realize that this wasnā€™t some silly (and naive) get-rich-quick scheme. I wouldnā€™t expect to sell a hundred copies, let alone two thousand. But, it might be fun. If the games were good ā€“ and I mean really good ā€“ we might cut in on some of the exposure that Sherman seems to garner. I could even see doing downloadable demos, but putting boxed feelies and stuff in with the full version. I think it would be fun. I used to do this kind of thing in high school with some friends, and it was always a blast.

From here
SPAG was going to review a Malinche game; Sherman found out about it and threatened SPAG if they ran it. (note: without having seen the review)

Also see this quote

Iā€™ve sent off an email to Jimmy Maher to see if the policy still holds true, now that Paul Oā€™Brian has handed it off.

Also, through your links, I found this series of brief comments/reviews:
carouselchain.com/if/comment ā€¦ egame=1294

I actually have the feeling that the only person who rates Howardā€™s games highly is Howard himself.

PC Zone (or maybe PC Format) magazine reviewed one of his games last year and basically slated it. I wonder how many threatening e-mails they got off him as a result?

The threatening to sue SPAG thing is pretty hilarious, though. It really says something about your belief in your own work when youā€™re threatening to sue someone for publishing a review of your game before you even know what the review is like.

I donā€™t really have anything to add to the Malinche issue (uncontrollable laughter doesnā€™t translate very well into textā€¦) but since the issue of selling games has come up I thought Iā€™d link to a fairly recent thread on the Adrift forum about the same thing. adrift.org.uk/cgi/iB/ikonboa ā€¦ f=1;t=5356

Hereā€™s the complete reply from Jimmy Maher. In short, heā€™s not actively seeking reviews of Malinche games, but would publish them if theyā€™re as objective as any other review.

Iā€™m guessing SPAGā€™s policy of completing games before reviewing them still holds true? If so, I doubt Iā€™ll ever be sending a review of ā€œPentari: First Lightā€. Iā€™m not sure I could bear to play it again, let alone struggle through it right to the end.