Bulk Limiter by Eric Eve

This topic is for discussions related to Bulk Limiter by Eric Eve

The current version of Bulk Limiter (Version 9) doesn’t compile under the 10.1 compiler. Of course extensions that depend on Bulk Limiter will also fail. Minimal example to demonstrate the problem:

Include Bulk Limiter by Eric Eve.

Erewhon is a room.

Two errors are generated,

I've also read Bulk Limiter by Eric Eve, which is 752 words long.
  >--> I am reading the sentence 'The bulk capacity of a container is normally
    10' (C:\Users\econrad\Documents\Inform\Extensions\Eric Eve\Bulk Limiter.i7x, line 9)
    as saying that a thing called 'bulk capacity of a container' is a value,
    but this makes no sense to me - it would be like saying 'the chair is 10'.
  >--> I am reading the sentence 'The bulk capacity of a person is normally
    100' (C:\Users\econrad\Documents\Inform\Extensions\Eric Eve\Bulk
    Limiter.i7x, line 12) as saying that a thing called 'bulk capacity of a
    person' is a value, but this makes no sense to me - it would be like saying
    'the chair is 10'.

Just for verification, the second console line shows the version of Inform 7:

Inform 7 v10.1.2 has started.

It looks like there was a mistake, very likely mine, and Bulk Limiter for 10.1’s version number wasn’t incremented beyond the ‘version 9’ of the previous version. You seem to have the old one. If you get the real 10.1 version, it should work.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/i7/extensions/10.1/Eric%20Eve/Bulk%20Limiter-v9.i7x

2 Likes

(FYI: The corrected version does work.)

Interesting and also very weird. It looks like the only difference in the correct version is that the attribute “bulk” for a thing was defined after the attribute “bulk capacity” for containers and supporters. (In the incorrect version, the definition of “bulk” comes first.) Is this order required because the word “bulk” is part of the phrase “bulk capacity”?

(There were a couple of changes in the examples which also changed the order of some definitions.)

Some things about how I7 is parsed were changed in 10.1 and it became order-sensitive to some things it hadn’t been before. Unfortunately, there’s no guide to what things are order-sensitive how.

1 Like