Implicit Actions by Eric Eve

This topic is for discussions related to Implicit Actions by Eric Eve

2 Likes

This is a great extension. I very much prefer “(first trying to open the door)” instead of “(first opening the door)”, since it is sometimes followed by “The door is locked.” or something similar.

However, I am experiencing some strange behaviour with the text immediately following “(first trying to open the door)”.

Without the extension, it looks like this:

>n
(first opening the main door)
Before you can take a step, you hear a muffled explosion. You feel light headed for a moment…

BroomTek Entrance
The BroomTek building looks rundown, as if it has been abandoned for years. Much of the glass is broken and the metal is dull and dingy. The car park is to the south and the main door is to the north.
>

With the extension installed, it looks like this:

>n
(first trying to open the main door)
Before you can take a step, you hear a muffled explosion. You feel light headed for a moment…

BroomTek Entrance
The BroomTek building looks rundown, as if it has been abandoned for years. Much of the glass is broken and the metal is dull and dingy. The ca
>

The italics and bold are gone. Plus the room description is truncated.

I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it.

Additional Information: The reason going north is showing a room description is because the first time you open that door, the player is moved to another location (“BroomTek Entrance”). I think this is probably relevant to the problem somehow.

UPDATE: The problem seems to be in the “Text Capture” extension, which is required by “Implicit Actions”. The truncated text was easily fixed, by increasing the buffer size (“Use maximum capture buffer length of at least 512.”), but it looks as though it is also stripping out formatting for some reason, so bold and italic type aren’t showing up as bold and italic. I’m not sure why it’s doing this, and I don’t know enough about Inform 6 code to be able to see if there is a workaround.

I would really hate to have to get rid of the “Implicit Actions” extension, but unless I can figure out how to prevent it from stripping out my formatting, I may have no other choice.

1 Like

There was an experimental extension that captured text with formatting, but I’m not sure how stable it is.

1 Like

that was @Draconis’ Formatting Capture

2 Likes

Yep, and it’s specifically tested to work with Implicit Actions, since that’s what I needed it for in Enigma!

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I get “Implicit Action” to use “Formatting Capture”, instead of “Text Capture?”

1 Like

Unfortunately you can’t. But that shouldn’t be necessary. Formatting Capture has a section that specifically cuts out all the code of Text Capture to ensure it doesn’t interfere.

Volume X - Shutting Down Text Capture (for use with Text Capture by Eric Eve)

[This is needed because many extensions depend specifically on Text Capture, and it conflicts with our replacement code here]

Part 1 - Empty (in place of Part 1 - Define a Use Option in Text Capture by Eric Eve)

Use ineffectual.

Part 2 - Empty (in place of Part 2 - Define Our Four Phrases (for use without FyreVM Support by TextFyre) in Text Capture by Eric Eve)

Use ineffectual.

Part 3 - Empty (in place of Part 3 - I6 Code in Text Capture by Eric Eve)

Use ineffectual.
1 Like

Thanks, but one more dumb question (sorry). Do I just Include “Formatting Capture” or do I need to also include the code you posted above?

1 Like

Just include Formatting Capture. That code is included in the extension.

(At least it’s included in the version of the extension I have on my computer. If it doesn’t work, tell me, and I’ll update the version in Github.)

2 Likes

When I try to compile with “Formatting Capture” included, I get this error:

Problem. In the sentence ‘Section B - Formatting Commands (in place of section SR5/1/7 - Saying - Fonts and visual effects in Standard Rules by Graham Nelson)’ , it looks as if you intend to replace a section of source text from the extension ‘Standard Rules by Graham Nelson’, but that extension does not seem to have any heading called ‘section SR5/1/7 - Saying - Fonts and visual effects’. (The version I loaded was 6.)

According to the Extensions tab, I’m running Version 2.0.221014 of your extension.

1 Like

Ah, which version of Inform are you on?

1 Like

Inform 7 v10.1.1

Additional info: I had temporarily commented out the Include for “Text Capture”. When I put it back in, I now get the error I posted above, plus this error as well:

In Volume X - Shutting Down Text Capture in the extension Formatting Capture by Daniel Stelzer:

Problem. In the sentence ‘Part 2 - Empty (in place of Part 2 - Define Our Four Phrases (for use without FyreVM Support by TextFyre) in Text Capture by Eric Eve)’ [](source:D:\OneDrive\Documents\Inform\Extensions\Daniel Stelzer\Formatting Capture.i7x#line209), it looks as if you intend to replace a section of source text from the extension ‘Text Capture by Eric Eve’, but that extension does not seem to have any heading called ‘Part 2 - Define Our Four Phrases (for use without FyreVM Support by TextFyre)’. (The version I loaded was 8.1.)

1 Like

That might be the issue. I’ll check the newest versions of these extensions and see what the headings are called now.

3 Likes