Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen

This topic is for discussions related to Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen

Juhana;

Looks like the Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short was updated after Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen. Here are the errors that occurred when trying to ‘compile’ using the most current versions of both. Looks like the code was heavily reorganized and the use section numbers eliminated in present the current version of Emily Shorts extension.This means your ‘overlays’ don’t work as expected.

Can you post a revised extension? I don’t like hacking extensions and therefor leaving the issue in place for others to stumble upon, but I can’t proceed without doing something.

Here are the 'compiler errors:

In Chapter Disabling Basic Screen Effects (for use with Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short) in the extension Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen:
Problem. In the sentence ‘Section 1 - Spacing and Pausing (in place of Section 1 - Spacing and Pausing in Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short)’ , it looks as if you intend to replace a section of source text from the extension ‘Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short’, but that extension does not seem to have any heading called ‘Section 1 - Spacing and Pausing’. (The version I loaded was 7/140425.)

In Section 1 - Spacing and Pausing (in place of Section 1 - Spacing and Pausing in Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short) in the extension Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen:
Problem. In the sentence ‘Section 2 (in place of Section 2 (for Z-machine only) in Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short)’ , it looks as if you intend to replace a section of source text from the extension ‘Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short’, but that extension does not seem to have any heading called ‘Section 2 (for Z-machine only)’. (The version I loaded was 7/140425.)

Thanks, I’ll fix the headings. That said, if you’re manually including Basic Screen Effects the quick fix is to just not do that; if it’s included, Vorple Screen Effects just disables it completely.

Oops, sorry I didn’t think to send the update to you when I sent it to the Inform 7 team.

Juhana;

I found the issue while trying to convert one of my Vorple-based adventures to the new release.
I doesn’t directly include Emily’s extension, but somehow I get the message I posted.
The compiler must be including it, because it is called from some other extension I use.
If that’s the case, it could be a slightly more complex fix.

Juhana;

Sorry to be finding all the bugs, but I think I found another one…

I found the extension that was calling Emily’s Screen Effects Extension. It was Directional Facing by Poster.
I put your extension in place of the reference to Emily’s in that extension and progressed until I came to a minor issue in your version of the Screen Effects extension:

In Chapter 2 - Styles in the extension Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen:
Problem. You wrote ‘cursive, emphasis, fantasy, monospace, nowrap, strikethrough, strong, transient, underline, xx-small, x-small, small, large, x-large, xx-large are Vorple styles’ : but that seems to say that an adjective is a noun, like saying ‘Open are the doubled doors’: which I’m picky about, preferring it written the other way about (‘The doubled doors are open’). Less poetic, but clearer style.

This refers to:

Chapter 2 - Styles

Vorple style is a kind of value.

cursive,
emphasis,
fantasy,
monospace,
nowrap,
strikethrough,
strong,
transient,
underline,
xx-small,
x-small,
small,
large,
x-large,
xx-large
are Vorple styles.

So I tried doing as the message suggested ( see the following modification) and got further:

Chapter 2 - Styles

Vorple style is a kind of value.

Vorple styles are
cursive,
emphasis,
fantasy,
monospace,
nowrap,
strikethrough,
strong,
transient,
underline,
xx-small,
x-small,
small,
large,
x-large,
xx-large.

This resulted in a compiler error about the word, “small” in the above list of styles:

In Chapter 2 - Styles in the extension Vorple Screen Effects by Juhana Leinonen:
Problem. In the sentence ‘Vorple styles are cursive, emphasis, fantasy, monospace, nowrap, strikethrough, strong, transient, underline, xx-small, x-small, small, large, x-large, xx-large’ , it looks as if you intend ‘Vorple styles are cursive, emphasis, fantasy, monospace, nowrap, strikethrough, strong, transient, underline, xx-small, x-small, small, large, x-large, xx-large’ to be asserting something, but that seems to involve applying the adjective ‘small’ to a vorple style - and I have no definition of it which would apply in that situation. (Try looking it up in the Lexicon part of the Phrasebook index to see what definition(s) ‘small’ has.)

*** This sounds like a namespace collision with code that is present outside your extension. I think I used the attribute, “small” in my geocaching extension to describe the size of a cache. Since that is a common way to describe caches (small, medium and large), this may take some thought to solve. I’ve had this so many times before, that I only wish one could declare the scope of such things or use a modifier to define which one is being referenced.

Not sure how to view the Phrasebook Index. Seems that to get any further, I’m going to have to strip down my code, find the offending reference and try to find something else to call the size of a cache. Looks like upgrading the old adventure to the new Inform7 is not going to be nearly as easy as I hoped.

Yes, that’s more a feature request than a bug, but a reasonable one. The extension reserves “small” and “large” for its own use but they’re common enough that it might be best to rename them.

Just a note to draw your attention to the error in the syntax that precedes me finding the issue with namespace collisions.