intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most-wanted updates
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:22 pm 

Nop. I've downloaded the extensions from those urls, then installed with Inform 7 installation process. Then use the button to automatically copypaste the examples in the editor.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm 

OK, I've figured it out! The confusion wasn't your fault at all--I had hacked my versions of the extensions to compile, and I didn't update the version number. The background is here; Inform changed the way it handled blank table columns, so you need to take the tables that are defined with a kind name in the top row and move them to the heading.

Unfortunately while testing this I downloaded the versions of the extensions from the website and they overwrote my working versions. Also unfortunately, Michael updated the extensions himself, but they were uploaded on his personal website which is now gone. But there may be some people who have the extension and could upload a working version (you could try PMing paulobrian or Joey Jones).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 am 

Ok, yes, it works!

The solution is simple enough, please, upload a new version to the extensions library with the fix. I think this library is the perfect middle ground between Hybrid Choices and Threaded Conversation, so it is important that authors have access to this standard way o implement conversations.

Thanks! You saved my comp entry!

Ruber Eaglenest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:27 am 

Glad to hear it works!

Now that you've got a working version, can you attach it to a post here? As I said, I broke my copy of the extension. If you post using the Full Editor you can attach files using "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the post. (The process is a bit convoluted; you have to hit "Browse" and then you also have to hit "Add the file.") I could probably get them onto the new extensions library. The one on Inform7.com is mostly for extensions that go with older versions of Inform.

Or if anyone has a working e-mail for Michael Martin we could try to get his fully updated extensions. Or if anyone has the updated extensions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:05 pm 

Ok, this is the one that needed the update. I've updated it to version 11, just to fix the table thingy. Added a note, but my english is not perfect, maybe you want to review it before uploading to the official server.

Regards.

Attachments:
Reactable Quips.i7x [19.22 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 pm 

Thanks so much! I'll look at it and see if I can upload it to the library. And if anyone has Michael Martin's official updated versions, that'd be great too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm 

matt w wrote:
Thanks so much! I'll look at it and see if I can upload it to the library. And if anyone has Michael Martin's official updated versions, that'd be great too.

I'd be happy to get any updated versions into the Public Library.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 pm 

Right now I'm having a weird issue with one of the updated examples in Reactable Quips. I guess I can see if I can hunt up Michael's version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 am 

What issue?

I had to cut some logic when I was building the game in Spanish, so I thought the library was not working 100% with the Spanish extension. Maybe the issue was there in the original all the time...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:15 am 

In "Security Consultant," the commands "guard, sesame" and "guard, password" give a run-time error about an invalid snippet:

Quote:
*** Run-time problem P41: Attempt to match a snippet value which is currently invalid: words 0 to 3

Somehow the "topic understood" is getting broken, and I can't figure out why.

This shouldn't be a problem if you're using Quip-Based Conversation, because Quip-Based Conversation blocks "answering it that" commands without trying to consult the topic understood.

This happens even on a minimal implementation:

Code:
Include Reactable Quips by Michael Martin.

The Vault is a room. The guard is a man in the Vault.

test me with "actions/guard, sesame".

Quote:
>actions
Actions listing on.

>guard, sesame
[answering the guard that "
[** Programming error: tried to read from -->-1 in the array "parse", which has entries 0 up to 60 **]
guard , sesame"]
You can't think of anything to say on that topic.

[answering the guard that "
[** Programming error: tried to read from -->-1 in the array "parse", which has entries 0 up to 60 **]
guard , sesame" - succeeded]

The thing is that the answering that action works fine when the command is entered in the form "answer sesame to the guard," which means that the error probably has something to do with the way the parser converts "guard, sesame" into an answering it that action. Which means looking at the parser. Which means a massive headache.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next