intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:00 am 

This topic is for discussions related to Threaded Conversation by Chris Conley.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 pm 

I am having difficulties in finding a feasible way of preventing the player to enagage in a conversation with an NPC based on some condition when using Threaded Conversation extension.
What i have tried so far is using Instead rules on the actions provided by the extension (there are several) like:
Code:
Instead of discussing a quip, quip-supplying Dave when <condition>:

which will still result in implicit greeting related output from the underlying conversational framework extension before the rule applies.
How would i catch those as well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 pm 

If you type "rules" and "actions" before the command that gives you the unwanted implicit greeting, what's the output?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 am 

Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I think i have managed to solve this.
Depending on how the conversation is started the are several actions involved that call further actions. It seems though that all path go through the 'Saying hello to' action from the conversational framework extension. An instead rule on this action seems to block all use cases.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:08 am 

Glad you could work it out!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

I have a problem with this extension.

I can't find a way to activate the menu-based ui. There's none of that apparently in the documentation. Take a look:

Code:
Section: Switching to other forms of ask/tell or menu-based interface 

This behavior can be adjusted. If we want to achieve something more like an old-style ASK/TELL interface -- that is to say, one in which there are no cues, and the player is left to pick conversation clues out of the character's speech -- we can simply turn off the rule that supplies the cues. To do this, we would write

The offer hint quips rule is not listed in any rulebook.
We could also substitute in its place a rule that offers hints only under specific conditions, or only suggests certain types of hints.

More ambitiously, we could allow the player to determine for himself which play style he prefers, as a setting of the game. If we choose to do this, we must be sure to play-test all the options carefully. Performative quip commands, in particular, are not at all likely to be obvious to players unless we offer some other way of hinting at the special phrasing required.

So, how I activate the menu-based user interface?

Thanks.

Ruber Eaglenest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm 

Sorry, that's not describing a menu-based UI, and no such system is included in this extension. That line only disables the suggestion of conversation quips at the end of every turn, making conversations using TC into something of a guess-the-conversation-topic puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:16 pm 

Are you still welcoming bug reports for this extension? The inform IDE suggested this as the place to talk about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:38 am 

GillianCrowley wrote:
Are you still welcoming bug reports for this extension? The inform IDE suggested this as the place to talk about it.

Yes, please do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:39 pm 

If the parser ever has to disambiguate between rooms, even outside conversation, the extension will interrupt the disambiguation question to say that "You're not talking to anyone right now." The same happens with directions though that's a more obscure situation. If a "Does the player mean" rule resolves the disambiguation, then the correct action goes through but if it has to ask the player then "Rule for asking which do you mean when everything parse-matched is a quip" interrupts for reasons I can't trace. Here's a minimal reproduction:

"Error Test" by Gillian Crowley

Include Threaded Conversation by Chris Conley.

land alpha is a room. land beta is east of land alpha.

warping to is an action applying to one thing. Understand "warp to [any room]" as warping. Carry out warping to: now the player is in the noun.

Test me with "warp to land".