intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 pm 

Hi, everyone -

I'm just starting out with Twine, and I'm curious, for those who are more experienced (basically everyone), do you prefer working with Twine online in your browser or through the downloaded program? Or both, depending on the situation? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!
~Doug

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:13 am 

Hi Doug,

I don't see any advantage to working with Twine online. All of your files are stored in you browser data whether you are online or local. Both versions work the same.

You can view this article in Twine's documentation here: http://twinery.org/wiki/twine2:where_yo ... _are_saved

v/r
fos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 am 

That's not correct. The downloadable Twine app stores your files in ~/Documents/Twine (for MacOS, somewhere similar on Windows).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm 

zarf wrote:
That's not correct. The downloadable Twine app stores your files in ~/Documents/Twine (for MacOS, somewhere similar on Windows).

Which is why I use the downloadable one. I can rsync the Twine stories I'm working on between several machines and have easy backups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm 

I also use the offline version so that files are stored locally and outside the browser data store. That way I can back them up and, in my case, keep the stories under version control.

(Early versions of Twine 2 did save data to the browser when using the offline version.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 pm 

Twine is in active development. The above link is to the current documentation on the Twine website. I was pointing out one of the reasons that I prefer the local version and I see no advantage with the online version. The documentation does specify that you should archive your story source, always a good practice.

fos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 pm 

Hmm... the link fos1 shared got me nervous, so I checked. I'm working with Twine program version 2.2.1, and I found my story files (on a Mac) in the exact location that zarf noted. So it sounds like the documentation needs to be updated.

Archiving does seem like a good habit to get into regardless. I'm also thinking of using "Publish to File" at the end of each writing session to drop the current version into Dropbox, so I can work on it from whatever computer I'm on.

Thanks, all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am 

There are three different releases of Twine 2:
  1. An NW.js-based release—the executable one—which stores your files within your local filesystem.
  2. The online browser-based release, which stores your files within your browser's Web Storage cache.
  3. An offline/local browser-based release, which stores your files within your browser's Web Storage cache.
The latter release type is not linked to at the main Twinery.org page, but can be found at its repo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 pm 

Neither, I work in plain text and use Twee2 to produce output. Tweego would also work. I find a regular text editor more convenient to write in than the Twine UI, plus I get automatic backups.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:08 pm 

Same here. Since my screen reader and Twine don't get along well, I use Tweego exclusively. (I also have Twee 2 installed, but I prefer TweeGo.)